Chapter 76 Truths

Crimson

-----

I basically threw the book aside when I had finished reading the story and burst out of the room. My mind worked at the speed of a shooting star and it felt like it was one step ahead of my actions.

"I want information on vampire's reproduction," I almost yelled at the Librarian in my haste.

He snapped his fingers and before he could say anything, I went back through the door. The room had changed. Now there wasn't any bookshelf, and the armchair and table with the tea was gone as well. Instead there was a stand on which a single book lay.

I took the book and flipped through the pages while pacing around.

There was nothing in it that I didn't already know, but for the first time I took notice of the exact wording of it all. A vampire could only produce a child with a person that they were mated to. What I had assumed, what all seemed to have assumed, was that that also then meant that both would have to be vampires. But if it was possible to mate and solidify the bond in a way that didn't include the usual marking and drinking of blood. If it was possible for a vampire and a witch to solidify their bond in a similar way as the two lovers that became the first vampires had...

I left the room again.

"Can I access records of all witches being mated to vampires?" I asked and the Librarian snapped his fingers once more.

Now there were many more books than before. Thankfully they stood in chronological order and the years each book included was printed on the spine. I hesitated for a moment before taking down the latest book first. On the last page in that book, I saw my own name standing next to Lamech's, and in a third column was one word. Rejected.

I slammed the book shut and looked around. There was a fireplace in the room and I threw the book in there. The flames engulfed it at once, made crackling noices as the book burned, but I turned my back on it.

I began to search for my mother's name. I started with the year I had been born and worked my way backwards. Though I knew that Alair had said that Lolek had met his witch about two hundred and seventy years ago, I wanted to make sure I wouldn't miss it.

I flipped through page after page after page until I saw the name I had been looking for. Mary Evermore. And next to her stood Lolek Laska. And to the side of their names: Mated.

But what had really happened then? My mother had definitely been a witch. I had memories of her using magic and well, I clearly was one also. So they had mated without her having to become a vampire. But how?

My mind still raced faster than I could properly follow and already knew the most likely scenario.

I felt certain that it was a lie that they had been killed by vampires. From having gotten to know Lamech and the Midnight Refugees I knew that they would not kill one of their own unless that one went on a killing spree. My coven on the other hand...

Alair had said that they had found information that suggested that Starlight had captured Lolek and his witch mate, and killed them. Considering when Mom and Dad would have met, they couldn't have been killed then, because I had been born about thirty years later. But had Starlight captured them? Put them into our prison? Kept them in a similar way that the two lovers had been kept?

I felt fury grow in me, because I could clearly imagine what would have happened. Mom and Dad being placed in the same cell and Dad not receiving any blood at all. Being forced to endure the growing thirst with Mom as his only option to feed from.

But then what? They would have had to escape. How?

That was one thing that I couldn't come up with any answers to. Someone had to have helped them, but I didn't know enough to guess who.