Chapter 1 The vampire hunting witch

Crimson 

----- 

I kept myself low against the roof of a building in Soho. It was of the utmost importance that I wasn't seen, and when you were hiding from a vampire that wasn't the easiest task. With most creatures my completely black outfit and the night's shadows would do the trick. But I knew that if the vampire looked in my direction, it would spot me. And that couldn't happen. The particular vampire I was after had alluded me two times already. But as they say, third time is the charm. 

I spotted it in the alley between the building I was on and the next. Like me, it kept to the shadows while stalking its prey. A young man, intoxicated from an evening with friends. Humans really made it too easy for the predators. Not that a human could escape a vampire, but why did they always make it even easier for them? 

Sure, humans didn't know to fear vampires. Had no idea about all of the horrors that lurked in the dark. But even though they didn't know about vampires and other magical creatures, there was other dangers that could befall them, human dangers.

I quickly looked over my options for attack. The vampire knew I was after it so I had to be fast. Faster than normal. Faster than a vampire. For other witches that would be impossible. For me, I knew I could manage if I planned it right. How I hated it though. The awful similarities between me and those blood sucking demons. I wasn't as fast and strong as a vampire, but not far from. The same with my senses. 

That was one of the reasons why I had become what I had become. The vampire hunting witch. But it was very much a secondary reason. 

I found the way I could take. Two quick jumps that hopefully would make me land on top of the vampire. I pulled a wooden stake out of my belt so I was ready to plunge it into the vampire's heart. One deep breath and then I went. 

The vampire noticed me just before I landed on it and took a step to the side. Thankfully it didn't run like it had done the other two times. Instead, it hissed at me as I landed gracefully where it had just stood. 

"You really are an annoyance, witch," it snarled. 

I smiled up at it. "Thank you for the compliment." 

"That's the last thing you'll be thankful for," it said before moving in on me. 

It was the stupidest thing it could have done. I moved out of the way and its eyes widened. It clearly had thought I was a simple witch, that I was no harder to kill than a human. 

It lunged at me again. That time I was more prepared and I moved to the side to avoid it before jumping up on its back. It hissed again and slammed into a wall, me first. The stones on the wall broke, but my grip on the vampire didn't. 

"What are you?" it growled, but I never answered it. It was too stunned by me to react quick enough as I got the stake into the right angle and pushed it into its heart. 

I jumped off its back before it fell to the ground. Immobilized by the stake. I took my lighter from a pocket and kneeled down by the vampire. 

"Have fun in hell," I told it before setting it on fire. 

I stood back and watched as the fire spread over its body. With the stake in its heart, it couldn't even scream as the fire ate it up. I didn't know for sure though if it actually felt the pain of the fire, but I assumed it did. All that I had read about vampires said that they were aware and felt things while immobilized, so they had to be feeling the fire slowly killing them as well. 

I really hoped they did. If not, my revenge wasn't as sweet, for I knew that vampires liked to play with their victims. I had seen enough in action to know that. They caused terror and pain before the victims died. I could only imagine the terror and pain my parents had felt before the vampire had killed them. I did so hope that all the vampires I had killed at least had felt something similar to what they had to have felt. 

I looked up from the blazing fire to see the would-be victim staring at me, mouth agape and eyes wide. I took a step forward and the human backed away, but in his drunken state he lost his balance and fell to the ground. 

I shook my head as I walked forward and knelt beside him. 

"Please... Please don't. I have money," he slurred and looked from me to the burning vampire. The human really stank from alcohol and being so close to him, it drowned out the stench of burning flesh. 

"That thing burning is a vampire," I told the human. "It is what you should fear, not me. If you value your life, you'll make sure to always keep to crowded places when out after nightfall. Do you understand?" 

The human nodded frantically. "Y-yes! Yes! I promise!" 

"Good. Now I suggest you hurry to a crowded street and then take a taxi home." 

He scrambled to his feet and the whole scene seemed to have sobered him up a bit because he looked steady as he turned to run away. 

"And of course, you didn't see anything tonight," I told him as he ran. "And let's face it. Who would believe you even if you told them about this?" 

The man didn't stop to look back at me, but he didn't have to. I knew that he was terrified, of me more likely than of what he should be fearful of. But the result would be the same, so what did it matter? As long as he never put himself at risk of falling victim to a vampire, that was all that mattered. And I knew perfectly well that I most likely looked more the villain than any vampire ever did to a human. My black irises were enough to ensure that.