Chapter 63 Irrationality

Lamech

-----

Darren and Cassie came in at some point while I sat there. They expressed how sorry they were and asked if I needed anything. I just shook my head, being unable to say anything. It felt as if I would break if I tried to speak.

They hadn't been gone long, or it had been several hours, before Alair came in. He didn't say a word, just took a chair and placed it next to mine before sitting down.

My sole focus was Crimson as we sat there. I couldn't look away from her. I felt certain that she would disappear if I did. So my eyes were on her face and one of her hands in mine. Her face was still pale, but I was almost able to fool myself into seeing it gaining color as time passed by. Similarly her hand was cold, but it felt as though it got warmer in mine.

Forever had passed when I finally opened my mouth to speak.

"Find out who brought her here and punish them severely," I told Alair.

He didn't answer right away and I took it as a silent assent to my order. But then he spoke.

"I already know who it was, but I will not punish them."

"What?" I snarled and for the first time since I had sat down, my eyes left Crimson.

Alair remained calmed and seemed as if he tried to decide what to say. Mulling it over in his head. And he didn't look at me, but kept his eyes on Crimson. As the silence stretched on, I turned my eyes back to her as well.

"They all respect her a lot, have grown fond of her and care for her," he said as he finally started to speak. His voice filled with emotion. "They have accepted her as your mate and as such also as their leader. And, as Stuart put it, they are proud to expose their neck to her. I don't think you realize what happened out there. The second everyone found out that they had hurt her, the battle was over. It is rather impressive how she's managed that. She's barely interacted with them, but she's left them filled with admiration. I guess it's just something about her. She's easy to like."

Alair went quiet for a bit. The beeping from the machines monitoring Crimson occupied the silence.

"The one that brought her is already being punished enough by their own guilt and everyone else's anger over that she's hurt. So no, I will not punish them further."

"That's not..." I started saying but Alair cut me off.

"No punishment that you can think of will have any effect compared to their current feelings. And besides..." Alair took a deep breath before continuing. "She's strong and a fighter, a damn good one, and you need to accept that. She will never be okay with sitting on the sidelines while others are in danger, while there are people to protect. And I don't think you would want her to be that type of person. Would you love her like you do if she would be fine having other people fight her battles?"

"This wasn't her battle!"

"No. But it was our ally's battle and as such your battle and, by extension, her battle. I know you want to protect her, but you need to learn to protect her on her conditions. Neither of you will be happy if you try to force her into being someone she's not in the name of protection. Instead, trust that she'll be alright."

I just shook my head. "How can I? She's... I know she isn't fragile, but in comparison, she still is. She is just a witch after all. Her life is limited."

"You've said it yourself, she isn't just a witch. In truth, she seems to be more of a vampire than a witch to me. But none of that matters. When you have mated with her, she will be a vampire. So what excuse will you use then to force protection that she does not need nor want?"

I didn't answer him and he didn't seem to be expecting one. He stayed for a while longer before he got up, but he didn't leave immediately. He went over to the sink and I could hear the sound of something being filled with water. Then he came back and placed a bowl and towel on the chair he had been seated on.

"You look a mess," he pointed out. "Try to get the worst of it off at least before she wakes up."

And with that he left.

A tiny part of me, the rational part, knew that he made sense. I would just be pushing her away if I continued to protect her without her consent. And hadn't I just that morning felt my love for her grow due to her selfless desire to protect others?

I took the towel and dipped it into the water. Then brought it to my face and wiped it. The towel was covered in the red of blood when I dipped it into the water again and it quickly colored the water.

But that rational part was easily silenced as I watched her still unconscious. As I remembered how cold she had felt when I had held her while blood had oozed out of her. How helpless I had felt and afraid to the point that I hadn't be able to even tell if she had still been alive or already dead.

I brought the towel to my face again. There was less blood on it that time, and I wiped down my neck as well before laying it into the bowl once more.

I would not let anyone harm her ever again. If that meant chaining her up, then so be it. Anything was better than having to live through that terror again.

I did one last sweep of my face and neck. Then I also cleaned my hand off from the worst of it.

I was only alone for a short time before there was a knock on the door. I didn't say anything or make a movement to open it, but whoever knocked pushed it open.

"I'm sorry, I hope I'm not disturbing. I just needed to see for myself that she's going to be alright," Everett's voice came from behind me.

My mind drew conclusions before I even started to consider it. Anger rose in me and I wanted to turn around and rip his throat open for having put Crimson in danger. But the desire quickly mellowed. I could sense his guilt. It held the same level of intensity as my anger. And besides, if I wanted to punish him, I would have to leave Crimson's side and that was out of the question.

"Why?" I asked him though, my voice low and cold. "Did she beg you? Threw a tantrum? Threatened you? Why did you bring her along?"

"I... She... She wanted to come," he said and it almost sounded as if he was close to tears. "I just knew she wanted to come, so I decided to help her."

"Are my orders a joke to you?"

"No! No, of course not! I... I'm sorry."

I felt annoyance building and scoffed at his words.

"You're sorry? If she would have died, do you think an I'm sorry would have been able to bring her back?"

"I... No... Didn't mean... I just..." Everett stammered and he wasn't able to finish the sentence. I let out a sigh. The conversation wasn't leading to anything. It wouldn't make what happened undone and it was of no help to calm my anger nor improve Crimson's current condition.

"Never disobey my orders again," I said, cutting off whatever excuse or apology Everett had tried to convey.

"I won't. I promise."

I became silent once more, and he understood the hint, leaving me be.

I sat alone there for a long time, with the sleeping Crimson, beeping machines, and my messy thoughts as the only company. Then finally, I felt her hand twitch slightly in mine before her eyes slowly blinked open.

 Then finally, I felt her hand twitch slightly in mine before her eyes slowly blinked open

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.