Chapter 41 Won't let go

Lamech

-----

I was in my office, on the phone with the Alpha and doing a last confirmation of when we could expect them the next day, how many and if there were any preferences on sleeping arrangements. We were reaching the end of the conversation and he was in the middle of saying some pleasantries when I received a mind-link that had me jump in my seat.

"I'm done with her! I can't deal with her anymore!"

It was Aideen and she yelled in my head and the anger was so strong that it almost made me fearful. I knew that her had to be Crimson and by the sound of Aideen's voice something really bad had happened.

"I'm sorry, Alpha Darren," I cut the Alpha off. "I just received an urgent mind-link. If there's anything else, send a message and I'll call back later."

I hung up the phone without listening for a reply.

"What happened?" I asked Aideen.

"Oh, just vampires this and vampires that. I know she doesn't actually think any of it, but she's just so fucking infuriating!" I could almost hear the redness of Aideen's eyes in her voice.

"Where is she?"

"Gym."

I got up and made my way down there. While rushing through the corridors I felt uneasy and worried. What kind of state would I find her in? Anger most likely and ready to pick a fight. Though she might be regretful instead. She did care for Aideen after all and I knew that having made Aideen upset would have her feeling guilty.

As I pushed open the door, however, I froze for her state was far from what I would have been able to imagine.

She was on the floor, curled up and all I could hear was her breathing. It was quick and shallow, hyperventilating. My heart broke and I hurried to her side. Sat down by her and hugged her to me.

"Slow down, Crimson," I murmured by her ear. "You need air. Just try to calm down, okay? I'm here and I'm not going anywhere. No matter what. I'll always be here when you need me."

I looked her over and noticed her grip on her own hair. It made me break even more. It likely didn't hurt much, but that didn't matter. She did it to herself, that was what mattered. Pulled and caused pain.

I put a hand over hers. "Relax, okay? Can you relax your hands for me? You can hold onto me instead if you want. Just relax. Lean on me and relax."

I kept talking to her in a low and calm voice. Slowly I could feel her fingers' grip ease under my hand and hear her breathing return to normal.

"That's it. That's right. You're doing good. I'm here so there's no need to worry about anything. I'll take care of you and I'll solve any problems you have. I promise."

She started to move. First, she moved her hands from her hair and down her sides. Then she turned her head to face me. If it wasn't for the situation and how broken she was, I would have found her adorable. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying, but the way she looked at me made me think of a baby playing peek-a-boo.

I pulled a few strands of her hair, that were in her face, back. "Feeling better?"

My words seemed to snap her back to reality and the adorable look she had of surprise and relief, switched in an instance. She scrabbled away from me and panic was everywhere on her.

"Crimson..." I started to talk, but she shook her head.

"I can't," she said in a low voice. "I can't do this."

"What can't you do? I'll help you," I offered, but knew there was no point before I even began.

"No! I... I want to forget! I don't want any of this. I don't want to know that you..." Her lower lip trembled and her words shattered my heart to dust.

"I'm sorry," I told her. "Is there anything I can do? Anything to make it easier?"

"Just leave!" she shouted, her voice was shrill and she got onto her feet. "Just leave and let me be! I just want you gone from my life! You're making a mess of everything."

Her hands went up to her head and I reacted instantly. I was on my feet in front of her and held her hands in less than a second. Made sure that she couldn't start pulling at her hair again.

"Let go of me!" she yelled and tried to get her arms out of my grip.

"No," I said and did my best to sound firm and decisive without it becoming harsh. "I won't let you go."

In that moment I finally completely realized how right Alair had been when he had said that I was foolish to think that I could let her go. For my words wasn't just about right then and there. I wouldn't be able to, didn't want to, ever let her go. As long as she didn't reject me, I would be hers and would do all that I could to make her mine.

"You're such an asshole!" she yelled and continued to try to get free. "Stupid and idiotic! Why did you have to do this? Why? It's all your fault! Why did it have to be you!"

"Tell me what I did, Crimson. I'll do what I can to make it right."

Her lips still trembled and there seemed to be uncertainty in her eyes, but she still met mine. For a second, I thought she would tell me exactly what it was that was going through her head. Exactly what it was that made her hate vampires, hate me, so much. But what she did instead was quite the opposite.

She pressed her lips against mine. I was so stunned that I didn't react to start with, but when I did, I pushed her away.

"Crimson, don't. Talk to..." was all I had time to say before she had her arms around me and her lips on mine again.

I tried to push her away again, but her grip on me was far too strong. I felt a sharp pain on my lip as she bit down, but that pain quickly turned to pleasure and rational thoughts left me.

I grabbed hold of her, lifted her slightly and she simultaneously put her legs around me. I walked forward, until she had her back against the wall. She had her hands in my hair, either pulling at it or digging her nails into my scalp, I didn't know which and I didn't care. It caused a bit of pain, but only enough to make me feel more desperate for her. Our tongues played with the other's, almost rather fighting. Her tongue licked over my lip and it shot shivers of pleasure down my spine while a moan left her lips.

I broke away, trailed kisses down her neck. I felt how her hold on me tightened and I wished it would even more. For us to consume one another, become one instead of two.

Then came words that had reality crashing down on me.

"Bite me. Make me forget everything else. Please."

Her voice shook and was thick with desire, but when I pulled away slightly to look at her, I could still see unshed tears in her eyes. I pulled away further, sat her down on the floor again and took a few steps back. I wasn't able to look at her as I spoke.

"I can't, not right now. Just talk to me instead. Tell me what is bothering you."

It was completely silent between us for unbearably long, all the while I looked down and to the side.

Finally her footsteps broke the silence. She didn't say anything before she took off at a run, likely to go and hid in her bedroom.

I didn't try to stop her.