Chapter 155

21. What Goes Around Comes Around

A bountiful fall and a cold winter have passed.

In the meantime, the Ludwigs were the hot potato of social circles, and we spent the fall and winter in a state of inexplicable emptiness and a stifling silence.

We skipped the National Day ball and declined all invitations.

But we couldn't stay like that forever.

When the buds began to bloom everywhere, and the bees' wings could be heard buzzing around the budding flowers, the Ludwigs slowly began to shake off their pain and rise.

It was Erdin who supported the Duke and Duchess.

"Gampa~"

"Yes, yes. I am your grandpa. Hahaha!"

"Kyaah!"

Erdin was so excited when the Duke picked him up and gave him a big hug that he drooled, but the Duke didn't mind getting his fine cravat soaked with Erdin's drool.

"Erdin, look at this!"

Beside him, the Duchess waved all sorts of rattles and dolls.

Erdin's eyes twinkled as he reached down to pick them up, and the Duke and Duchess giggled at how cute he was.

That added to Erdin's growing list of things to take to Ryzen.

In truth, it was Cliff I was more worried about than the Duke and Duchess.

"Thank you so much for saving Lizé's life."

Two seasons later, I still can't forget the look on Cliff's face as he greeted me with such a forlorn expression as we watched the prisoner wagon carrying Lizé leave.

It would have been hard for him to shake off his feelings for Lizé, no matter how much they had grown apart.

In fact, last fall and winter, he barely left his room unless it was absolutely necessary.

But by spring, Cliff seemed to have made up his mind.

"My brother invited us to tea."

"Do you think he's feeling better now?"

"On the outside, he's the same as ever, though I don't know what he's like on the inside."

Killian smiled bitterly.

Even the place he'd invited us to tea was on the balcony of the Great Hall, where he, Killian, and Lizé often used to drink tea.

There, in the warm sunshine, Cliff was waiting for us with fine refreshments.

"The tea smells wonderful. Thank you for inviting me to tea time, Cliff."

"Welcome. I'm embarrassed to be thanked for this, it's nothing special, haha!"

True to Killian's word, he was wearing his old, confident, carefree smile.

But I could tell from his lean cheeks, rough skin, and slightly thinner physique than before that he was deeply in pain.

He looked like he couldn't have eaten, much less slept.

And what were the thoughts that occupied his sleepless mind throughout the silent winter night?

Self-blame, regret, sadness...... I wonder if he was tormented by those feelings.

I had a vague idea of how hard it must have been for him, but I smiled brightly, as if I had no idea. As he does.

"When is Erdin's baptism?"

"March 20, on St. Rufello's Day."

"That's just around the corner. Do you intend to return as soon as the baptism is over?"