Chapter 108

'Wherever you go, there are always shameless old beasts.'

It was a favorite tactic of the "older men" I'd encountered countless times in my previous life.

The excuses were always the same.

It's a joke, you are like my own daughter, or my niece......

This one was even trying to disgrace House Ludwig by molesting me in front of Duchess Ludwig.

'This is a double hit, huh?'

I grabbed Viscount Bartlett's wrist, which was now near my waist.

"Once you've been warned, Viscount Bartlett, you'll have to save yourself. Have your ears gone deaf?"

"E- Edith!"

"Or did you think it was time, now that neither Duke Ludwig nor his sons are here? How dare you lay a hand on the Duke's daughter-in-law? Do you want your wrist cut off?"

"What do you mean?! How can you do this to me, an uncle whom you have known so long?"

"Even my father doesn't touch me, let alone an uncle, how shameless of you."

I confronted him head-on, but was careful not to raise my voice.

If I yelled, he would surely accuse me of making a fuss.

Instead, I tried to keep my voice low, but firm and straightforward.

It was probably obvious to those around me what was going on.

And the Duchess did not pretend to be oblivious to my predicament.

"Viscount Bartlett."

A regal voice, clearly out of my league.

"Du- Duchess. You are mistaken!"

"Don't worry, I'm not misunderstanding you in the slightest."

"Oh, thank goodness. Edith has been a bit mentally unstable since she was a little girl, and she's been known to make a fuss sometimes."

There's nothing this guy can't say.

I was about to shoot back, but the Duchess held a hand out in front of me, stopping me.

"You misunderstand, Viscount," she said, "I said that because I saw what you did earlier, I know all about why Edith was angry."

"Even the Duchess is doing this? Women these days can't take a joke......!"

"Didn't you have some fun with your mills, Viscount Bartlett?"

I quickly added next to her, "We own large mills on the Bartlett estate and in the capital. They are supplied with wheat from the Magpie estate."

"Hmm, what if the House Magpie borrowed some money from us, and the reason they can't extend repayment is because of Viscount Bartlett?"

She's not just threatening one person, she's threatening their entire family, their entire estate, and their entire business. The alpha female is always right.

"I- I'm sorry about that. I, uh, had a little too much to drink. Hahaha......"

Viscount Bartlett shuffled away, sweating profusely.

The Duchess, who hadn't taken her eyes off him the entire time, looked at me sympathetically once he was completely out of sight and said, "You must have had a lot of men like that bothering you......"

I just sighed lowly and smiled bitterly.

Today is the first time I've been directly harassed, but I wonder how many times the original Edith must have been harassed.