Chapter 102

"My heart......?"

"Yes......"

There was silence between them for a moment.

Killian had guessed that Lizé knew how he felt. But saying it out loud was another matter entirely.

Lizé looked calm and yet somehow sad.

"I couldn't pretend to not know," she said, "but because I am an illegitimate child...... I have nothing to give you."

Killian was taken aback.

'Lizé...... are you saying you were in love with me too?'

If this is true, Killian had gotten into a very unjust marriage.

"But you and...... Cliff......"

"I am grateful that Cliff finds me adorable, even if it does scare me sometimes......"

"Ha......"

Killian put a hand to his forehead, feeling his head spin.

Countless moments flashed before his eyes that could have been a sign from Lizé.

"If I weren't an illegitimate child, do you think...... things could have been different?"

The question was tinged with sadness, and Killian stiffened, not knowing what to do.

Really, if Lizé weren't an illegitimate child, if she hadn't been as insecure, if she could have accepted my love more openly, would anything have been different?

"I'm afraid you'll get hurt in this territorial war."

"Don't worry, it's not even something worthy of the name war."

"But if you get hurt...... I......"

Tears glistened in her eyes.

But in that moment, Killian's mind flashed back to Edith.

"I don't want to be a widow already at this age."

Edith had said she was worried about him, but for the silliest of reasons.

But Killian found Edith's playful expression more poignant than Lizé's tearful concern.

At the same time, memories of the past replayed in his mind.

There were many moments when I thought to myself that Lizé was in love with me, but there were even more moments when I realized that I was mistaken.

Her smile was brighter with Cliff than it was with me, the two of them were much more intimate without me, and even with the three of us, I sometimes felt left out.

'And she loved me? That's kind of crazy......'

Then Killian realized he'd guessed wrong again.

Lizé never told me she loved me, she just said, 'I knew your heart.'

'I've almost made a stupid mistake again. No, I mean, is this what Lizé intended......?'

Killian shook his head, his brow furrowing slightly.

But the moment Lizé stepped up to him, even the cool-headed Killian couldn't help but panic.

"Lizé......?"

"Before you leave, can't you just kiss me once?"

It was a temptation that was hard to refuse for anyone.

Everything about Lizé was tempting: her moist eyes, her exposed shoulders, her hand on Killian's forearm.

The ray of sunlight he'd been craving for the past five years was shining on him for the first time, and it wanted him now. She wants him.