Chapter 60

"It was a total coincidence. I was just about to walk in and it just happened to be happening and I didn't think it was...... my place to interrupt."

"For what it was, you're making me out to be a total prostitute."

"That's......"

"Killian. Are you, by any chance, jealous?"

I giggled and teased him, amused by Killian's flustered look.

He suddenly locked eyes with me and replied in a serious voice, "Yeah. I was jealous, actually."

"What?"

"Well, the rumors about you were so bad, and even the most chaste of men and women can get a little carried away after spending so much time alone together, so I was a little worried."

"Ha......"

"At first I thought it was because I was worried about Renon, but then I realized...... yeah, I guess I was a little jealous of Ronon."

As he finished speaking, the air around our table felt overly quiet.

So much so that I could hear the sound of saliva slipping down my throat.

"Does that satisfy your curiosity?"

"Ah, yes."

"Well, you'd better finish your meal then, the food is getting cold."

"That's right!"

My heart was pounding strangely in my chest, and my appetite was gone, but I forced the food into my mouth so as not to show my awkwardness.

'What's wrong with him?'

Apparently, the opera date was the start of something drastic. All of a sudden, he's being so honest.......

But for me, who knows how this world works, his change was more puzzling and suspicious than welcome.

It seemed like a good time to ask what I'd been meaning to ask all along.

"Killian."

"Yes, go ahead."

"Hey...... what's wrong with you all of a sudden?"

"What are you talking about?"

Killian seemed to have decided to let it slide, but I didn't want to.

"Spending time with me, being honest with me."

"What's wrong with that, isn't that what a married couple does?"

"I'm saying this because we haven't been a normal couple, so don't try to deflect."

He put down his cutlery and said, "I just thought...... I should get to know you a little better."

"To know me better......?"

"I admit it's late. And that I've been childish."

"Oh, no, no."

"I'd like to get to know you, even if it's just now. Of course, I don't trust you completely...... because you're still the number one suspect in the past cases."

"I see."

"But now, I think it might not be you, and I hope you're not."

A strange look of anguish grew in Killian's eyes.

My heart thudded in my chest, even though he hadn't said he'd chosen to believe me.

'The light of hope is getting brighter!'

I thought I heard a Sanctus echoing from somewhere.

Killian was now declaring that he wanted to get to know the real Edith Ludwig, to abandon his prejudices about me.