Chapter 135

1. A Life on the Estate Starting from Zero

As punishment for degrading Killian's love to lust, I had to suffer at his hands for days on end.

During the day, if I said anything, he would give me a sullen look, saying, "We're in a relationship because of our physical intimacy." At night, he would ask me......

'Why do I need physical confirmation that Killian's love isn't lust? It doesn't make any sense!'

Even as I climaxed in the arms of Killian, who thrust himself into me, I was still thinking about it.

"Because I can't show you in any other way. Even when I tried to buy you gifts, you refused them all......"

To my half-joking question, Killian replied with another grunt.

Killian was desperate to get me something, but I really didn't need anything more.

Choi Soo-na, who had been living in a dilapidated one-room apartment and keeping track of every penny, is now the owner of a huge castle.

"You already bought me some things in the capital."

The ruby necklace I'd given to the mercenaries was still around my neck, thanks to Killian's reclaiming of it, and my jewelry box was filled with jewelry of my own taste.

My closet was also filled with practical and pretty dresses, and I had no shortage of accessories, cosmetics, and shoes.

"No, I mean, those were necessary things, of course. Well...... music boxes, glass figurines, fine scented candles...... don't you like that kind of thing?"

"How are you going to use that kind of thing?"

"Ha......"

Killian seemed to think I liked the 'pretty trash' that Lizé coveted, but I'd rather spend the money on improving the roads on the estate than on such things.

'But first, we'll have to take care of the castle.'

I'm not talking about the castle's furnishings and equipment, which were already in abundance.

The problem I was facing was a hierarchy of the workers.

Having been without a master for so many years, they had strong personalities, and in a bad way, arrogance.

They treated Killian with respect while treating me like an outsider for about a month.

Perhaps a rumor had been spread about me.

'Rumors from the capital take a long time to spread in the countryside, so I suppose they still think I'm a wicked woman.'

I don't need to hear the rumors about me to know that.

They must think that the innocent Killian had no choice but to marry a lascivious wench by the machinations of the Riegelhoffs, and that good-hearted Killian killed all the Riegelhoffs but couldn't kill his wife, so he brought her here.

"Anyway, there is something wrong with their attitude. There'll be hell to pay if Killian finds out."

"Probably......" Anna replied with a sigh. "The workers here are good-natured and diligent, but they also seem to have a lot of pride and stubbornness."

"They do seem that way. They say hello to me, but their expressions are not pleasant."

As I walked down the hall, wondering what to do about this, two maids walked by from the opposite direction.

They avoided eye contact and just walked by, bowing their heads in a nonchalant manner.

The sight of them made Anna feel even more grim than I did.