Chapter 2

"Master ordered you to stop by the office after you get ready."

"Yes......?"

"Hurry."

I had to wash my face, comb my hair, and wear a slick dress by this woman without knowing what was happening.

And as I stood in front of the mirror to check my makeup, I realized that things were going very strangely.

'Who are you?'

My appearance in the mirror was so unfamiliar.

She is a Westerner with red hair, light brown eyes, white skin, and a glamorous body.

She's pretty, but she looks a little scrawny. It's a good impression for someone who is going to ask for a refund.

And in the meantime, someone's memories slowly began to flow into my mind.

Edith Riegelhoff, a 22-year-old noblewoman who is to be married a week later.

It was strange to have the memory of a noblewoman in the minds of people living in the 21st century, but it was even stranger that her name was not unfamiliar.

'Edith...... Edith Riegelhoff. Where had I heard that name before? Who is she? Oh, wait! No way......'

I remember. It's the name of the villainess in the Rofan novel I finished yesterday.

It was a novel titled "I Refuse Your Obsession" with a Cider[1] narration.

[1] A cliché story, and usually refers to an unimpeded, exciting, and rapid development. In other words, the world is created only for the main characters. The opposite of Cider is Sweet Potato: a novel with a convoluted story/too much drama.

'Nonsense! Did I possess the villainess of a Rofan novel?'

I must have lost my mind. Not the female lead, but the villainess! No, I possessed before I became a villainess!

"Please wait in your room for a while. I will come after receiving permission from the master."

The maid, Sophia, spoke curtly and left without hearing my reply.

I immediately recalled the contents of the novel, trying to calm my pounding heart. I must pull myself together at this point.

'The female lead is Lizé Sinclair, right? And the male lead is Cliff Ludwig.'

I was taken aback, but fortunately, I was able to clear my head quickly.

It was a novel that I enjoyed reading, so it's fortunate that I have a lot of memories of it.

Lizé Sinclair, the female lead of the novel, is a bright, innocent, and beautiful girl like the goddess of spring.

However, handicaps[2] exist for all protagonists. She is the illegitimate daughter of Count Sinclair and a maid.

[2] A circumstance that makes progress or success difficult.

The Count has put the beautiful Lizé on the family register, thinking that one day he will be able to take advantage of her, but her family disapproves and harasses her.

As the persecution in the family intensifies, the Duke and Duchess of Ludwig, who have come to stay at the Sinclair Mansion for a time, take her with them.

'And that's where she meets Cliff, the male lead, and Killian, the second male lead.'

Cliff and Killian are brothers from the Ludwig family who fall in love with the same woman at the same time and try hard to win Lizé's heart regardless of her feelings.

They give Lizé what she wants and confront what threatens her without her knowledge...... she is the object of their obsession.

However, like any naive and good-natured female lead, she shrewdly solves the cases that befall her without noticing that the love the two men shower on her is "slightly" excessive.

Eventually, she marries Cliff, the eldest son of the Ludwig family, and becomes the Duchess of Ludwig, and the Sinclair family, who persecuted her, regret it and are punished.

It's a common plot, but it's such an interesting story.

And Edith Riegelhoff is one of Lizé's many enemies.

'Am I in the third volume now? Edith is married to the second male lead in the fourth volume, and it's only a week away.'

The Ludwigs' second son, Killian, who also loves Lizé, is forced into a marriage of convenience for the sake of the family.

The Riegelhoffs are villains who pretend to support the Imperial faction and secretly join the opposition faction to overthrow the Ludwigs.

However, unlike Killian who hates Edith, Edith falls in love with Killian at first sight.

'She is blinded by jealousy and does everything she can to kill Lizé!'

In addition, while acting as a spy for Count Riegelhoff, she conspires with her maid Sophia to steal internal documents and secrets from the Ludwig family.

'I'm raising my own death flag......'

Of course, Edith's evil deed is discovered by Lizé, and in the end, the Riegelhoff family falls together.

She dies at the hands of her husband, Killian......

She really is an insignificant villain.

I remember there were some bad comments saying that she was the perfect "enemy of women"[3] composition full of jealousy.

[3] The original word in Korean is 여적여 (YeoJeokYeo) which means a woman's enemy is another woman.

Anyway, apart from that confrontational composition, I couldn't understand Edith the whole time I was reading the novel.

'She has a pretty face, nice body, healthy, good family, lots of money...... but why is she so obsessed with her husband? If I were her, I would give him up and live happily.'

I knew very well that people in love often make irrational decisions, but it took me too long to understand because I didn't have enough money.

My wish is to live without worrying about money or worrying about health.

My family was not rich and I even had leukemia when I was young.

Although I received a bone marrow transplant from my brother and was declared cured, I was not completely healthy because of the strong drugs and chemotherapy.

On top of that, my gambling-addicted brother who had to move between jobs without even finishing high school, robbed me of my money under the pretext of 'repaying the favor' for the bone marrow transplant, and my parents had neither the strength nor the will to stop him.

So, love was a luxury for me.

According to Maslow's 5-Step Needs Theory, I was in a very weak position, barely meeting my physiological needs.

Still, the reason I had a boyfriend was that I still needed someone to lean on.

I needed someone to protect me. Maybe...... I hoped that someone like the male lead in a Rofan novel would save me.

Of course, that didn't happen.

Anyway, that made me envy Edith more than Lizé, and I was frustrated by her choice.

Why doesn't she throw away her love for a man who loves another woman?

If she just gave up her love, she could live a comfortable life.

'If you are in a harmonious family with lots of money and good health, you should be grateful.'

Edith doesn't know how happy it is not to worry about money and to be healthy. Why does she desire anything else?

'I'd rather be Edith. I am very confident that I will do well.'

I never thought that God would really give me the role of Edith.

The saying that "words become seeds"[4] doesn't exist for no reason...... wait! Come to think of it, my wish came true?

[4] Words spoken without intention can sometimes have unexpected results.

'So I transmigrated into a novel and possessed a villainess?!'

If it was someone who didn't know anything, it would be overwhelming, but this was a dream situation for me, who had mastered all the clichéd Rofan novels.

My bewilderment gradually turned to joy.

'Yes, this should be the price of my unfair death! Hooray!'

The memories of Edith Riegelhoff hadn't completely come back to my mind yet, but they were slowly coming back, which was much better than starting out without knowing anything.

Apparently, there will be a dinner this evening with the two families who will be joined in matrimony.

It seems that God took pity on me and gave me the memory of the original character which is rare in most Rofan novels.

Just in time, Sophia returned. "Miss, Master has allowed your visit."

"Okay. I'll go."

I took a deep breath and made my way to Count Riegelhoff's office as Edith's memory told me to.

"Good morning, Father."

It's weird to call a stranger father, but it's not hard to be an idiot with a lot of money. Even if you ask me to act cute, I can do it as much as you want.

However, Count Riegelhoff's reaction was quite different from what I expected.

"Isn't it too late for morning?"

His gaze, looking up and down as if trying to find fault, was like the gaze of Manager Park at my workplace.

And only then did the memory of Edith's situation in the Riegelhoff family come to my mind.

'Huh? W-w-what's this?!'

I don't remember all the full content of the novel "I Refuse Your Obsession", but Edith is definitely an arrogant villainess because she grew up only finely.

However, according to the memory that just popped into my head, that was just a mere fake image to deceive the world.

Edith Riegelhoff was nothing more than a puppet of Count Riegelhoff.

She dressed Edith in fancy dresses and expensive jewelry to flaunt the family's wealth and show off the honor of the family with her arrogant manner.

Edith's beauty, voluptuous body, and flamboyant style were all billboards for the Riegelhoff family.

In reality, she was a physically and emotionally abused daughter who desperately wanted to be loved by her parents and brother.

'This is a scam! How can this be!'

As I was still in a state of shock, Count Riegelhoff spoke in a sharp tone, "You can't make a mistake tonight or the Ludwigs will kick us out."

"......yes, Father."

"I will negotiate with them to let three of our family's maids work for you. You should say straight up that you cannot entrust your body to anyone other than our family's maids. It would be nice to scratch their egos if they can't even allow that much. Can you do well?"

I don't know what he's talking about, but I have to pretend that I do.

Count Riegelhoff, who had been writing tonight's scenario for a long time, did not pay attention to my answer and started to curse Duke Ludwig.

Only then did I begin to understand why Count Riegelhoff wanted to destroy the Ludwigs so badly.