Chapter 20

"What is that?"

"That's Peridot, one of the most popular bakeries in the capital. Some of their products are famously hard to find, even if you line up before the store opens."

"Wow...... is it that good?"

"I don't know because I haven't tried it, but they say that when noble ladies visit other houses, they always send their servants to buy strawberry tarts from there."

I was very tempted, but I wondered if I should go to the trouble of sending servants.

After all, we needed to eat, not tea or cake.

I took Anna to a restaurant with a nice outdoor terrace.

The restaurant was next to a park with lots of lush green foliage, so we could enjoy our food in the fresh air.

The food was expensive because it was a restaurant where nobles came and went, but I was willing to pay for Anna, who followed me around without any hassle.

'I'm happy that I can eat to my heart's content without worrying about money.'

I still clearly remember in my previous life, I used to pack lunches to save money.

When I sat alone in the bathroom eating my lunch, some people would open the window in annoyance, while others would look at me as if seeing something strange.

'Yes, just having a lot of money is enough to make you happy, so let's trust in money instead of expecting something emotional from others.'

I tried to convince myself to be strong.

But even as I thought that, I couldn't help but feel bitter: if someone else could earn the favor of others so easily, why was it so hard for me?

But it wasn't time to get frustrated. I shared a plate of bread and sea bass with cheese and ham with Anna, and we chatted about this and that, and I played the fool to get to the point.

"You said that commoners don't have carriages at home, so what do they take when they travel?"

"They rent carriages, or they pay to ride on long-distance carriages."

"And when they stop along the way, do they stay at inns?"

"Those who can afford it stay in inns, and those who can't often sleep on the streets."

If I'm going to run away, I need to know how to take a long-distance carriage ride and how to stay at an inn.

"Wow, that's interesting. Where do you take a long-distance carriage? I've never seen one before."

"Of course you have, because a long-distance carriage looks nothing like a noble's carriage. Think of it as a covered carriage."

"Yuck. That's going to be a bad ride."

"That's why everyone packs motion sickness pills. In the capital, the place where the long-distance carriages gather is near the South Gate."

Okay. Long-distance carriages near the south gate of the capital. Take motion sickness pills.

"If you want to stay at an inn or something, do you send someone to make reservations?"

"Usually you just walk into any inn you see and if there's a room, you stay, if not, you don't. People who don't have money sleep in stables."

"You sleep in a stable? Why? Are inns expensive?"

"The cheap ones are around 3,000 sennas a night, but the expensive ones can go up to 7,000 sennas, so they're expensive for commoners."