Chapter 50

"Anna......?"

"Miss......"

Anna, never one to be shaken, called me in a trembling voice, and after a long pause, barely managed to speak. "Why didn't you say anything until this happened?"

Anyone would be frustrated. I would have been too.

If I hadn't been under such bullshit constraints that I couldn't say anything about how I was being treated at the Riegelhoff, I would have finally told someone.

But for those who don't know and can't understand, a plausible excuse is needed.

"How could I tell you that?"

I turned around to see Anna's brow furrowed. I've never seen her expression change so dramatically.

And with that one word, she understood everything and didn't ask more.

She is an example of an astute maid.

"I apologize for my rudeness, I will apply the medicine."

I flopped down on the bed and let myself be held by Anna's hand.

'It's good that I got rid of Sophia...... but I'm afraid of the repercussions of this.'

There were still a few more episodes left of Sophia's story, and I was afraid of how that part would morph and attack me.

But one thing has been lingering in my mind with satisfaction since earlier.

'Killian kicked Sophia out for me because he knew I couldn't do it myself......'

He must have noticed my predicament inside the Riegelhoff.

Here I am, beaten by a maid, and Count Riegelhoff sends a carriage to bring Sophia back in one piece rather than worry about my safety.......

It's hard not to notice. Even Anna seems to have noticed.

But instead of turning his back on me, the worthless hostage, Killian threw Sophia out.

'This is the part where I can be hopeful, right?'

Of course, I hardly expected Killian to throw me out.

I'm more of a lead character than Sophia, and my narrative is more important than hers.

There's still a lot left for me to do, and I have faith that the flow of the story doesn't already exclude me.

Still, it was comforting to know that Killian hadn't ignored my situation and taken action.

'You have to be on your toes at times like this. You see it in movies and dramas where people let their guard down and mess things up.'

I don't know how much sympathy Killian had for me, but I do know that he saw me as a woman who would use her body to cover her faults when she was at a disadvantage.

'So in the future, I should never flirt with him and keep a clean distance, and maybe one day he'll realize that I'm not that kind of woman.'

Then he'll hate me less, and once he learns what happened to me, he might even forgive me when the Riegelhoffs meet their demise.

'Great, let's do it!'

I squirmed a little from my giggling, and Anna thought I was crying, so she put her hand over mine and patted me on the back.

Well, this isn't so bad.

***

The original author.

He calls himself K.