Chapter 75

"And word has gotten out that Uncle Samuel is safe because of you, so everyone is thankful to you."

"What? Really?"

Anna smiled and nodded.

After all, she had tried to convince me that Samuel couldn't have had a bad heart.

Then she looked around, tugged on my arm, and headed off into the shadows.

She whispered, "Actually, not long ago, a maid named Sabina disappeared."

"What? Disappeared?"

The name Sabina sounded vaguely familiar; I'd heard it from Cliff a while back.

He had told me then that he would promote her if she had a good reputation......!

"What do you mean she's disappeared?"

"Literally. All the stuff is there, but the person is missing."

"Oh my God...... and she still hasn't been found?"

"Yes. But more importantly, in the days leading up to her disappearance, she's been going around saying that she saw you poisoning Miss Lizé's embroidery thread."

"What?"

I gasped in surprise, and Anna quickly covered my mouth.

"And she said she was going to tell Master Cliff sooner or later, and then she just disappeared, so everyone was saying that you had something to do with her disappearance."

It was ridiculous.

So Cliff asked me just to test me?

"Well, so, are things different now?"

"Yeah. Apparently, everyone has changed their minds, saying that the lady who saved Uncle Samuel's life, even when her own was in danger, would never have anything to do with a bullshitting maid."

I just nodded, unable to close my gaping mouth.

"For what it's worth, I don't even know what this maid named Sabina looks like. I only heard her name from Cliff."

"There's no way you could have gotten rid of a maid without me noticing, especially since I've been by your side almost the entire time."

"Would you mind telling that to Cliff?"

"I've already told him."

"Thank you."

Sighing deeply, I walked into Renon's office again, pretending to be unaffected.

"Welcome, miss. It's been a while since I've seen you." Renon greeted me, his voice still emotionless.

"It's been a long time, Sir Renon. I've been absent so often that I don't think I deserve to be here, saying I'll help you with your work."

"I heard you almost drowned this time. Not a day goes by without wind." [1]

[1] The stronger the wind blows means your day is getting harder – referring to the proverb 가지 많은 나무에 바람 잘 날 없다 (No wind blows through a tree with many branches).

"I know."

I sighed again.

I didn't really want to be like this either.

"Actually, so far I've only heard a sketchy version of why you can't come out, so if you don't mind, could you tell me in more detail?"

Now, Renon, I think you're holding back some of your anger......

I mean, from the perspective of a boss, it's kind of pissing him off.

I'm parachuted in as the new employee, then I miss work on a random day for no apparent reason, and he can't find a new employee to replace me, so he ends up doing double the work.