Chapter 38

"If you're going to betray us, do it. Because when you're worthless, I'll kill you and hold the Ludwigs responsible."

I understood Sophia's point, even as tears welled in my eyes from the suffocating pain in my throat.

She'd be able to make it look like I'd been murdered by someone in the Ludwig family, and use my death as a weapon to stab the Ludwigs.

No one would ever imagine that Count Riegelhoff, who was famously fond of his daughter, would have killed her.

'This is why he pretended to love me.'

They are truly terrible people, so terrible that Count Sinclair seems more human.

Just as my mind was going blank, Sophia released her grip on my neck.

I choked frantically and wrapped my arms around my stiff neck.

"So, if you don't want to die, just be a pretty little doll like you've always been."

Sophia's voice was eerie.

But I didn't feel the slightest bit like giving in to her.

Edith, who has been abused since she was a child, may be afraid of Sophia, but I know she can't be the one to kill her.

In this world, the only person set to kill Edith is Killian Ludwig.

Not some shitty extra whose death is never explained.

"You're going to regret this, Sophia," I said, my voice hoarse.

I thought she was going to slap me again, but she just looked down at me with a ridiculous look.

***

Killian fiddled with the embroidery of a light gray bird biting a laurel leaf, lost in thought.

The day after he returned from his inspection of the Ryzen estate, it was the day before Countess Ermenia's annual bazaar.

In fact, his only impression of the event was, "I'm tired, and I have to go there tomorrow."

Until he heard the news from his mother.

"And Edith embroidered a bird on her handkerchief, do you know what color it is?"

"Why would I know that, does it matter?"

"Hohoho. It's the color of your eyes."

"......yes?"

"She embroidered it while thinking of you. Isn't that cute?"

The answer was so unexpected.

His mother laughed, saying that Edith had even told her not to tell him, but Killian wondered what Edith had meant by that.

'Maybe she was just trying to impress my mother.'

When Killian arrived at the bazaar the next day, he realized that Edith, Lizé, and Cliff had all gone to walk around in the bazaar, so he followed them.

But because he was late, he saw that Edith and Lizé had already returned from their walk.

Just as he was about to feign ignorance, a group of women blocked their path.

'Countess Bryn? I hear she's gone down to the estate to recuperate, but she's back.'

The Countess of Bryn had a reputation for being outspoken, but her position as Countess of Bryn and her caring nature meant that she had many followers.

However, she immediately picked a fight with Lizé, saying that she was an illegitimate child or a pet.

'Is she crazy?'