Chapter 148

14. Flashback (7)

As Lizé chewed on her fingertips, Killian left to lead the knights in search of Edith, and Cliff increased the number of knights looking for her.

It was clear that Edith would be captured sooner or later.

'So the only thing I can count on now is the third exception condition?'

Lizé hadn't been able to kill Edith in her last scheme.

Now she had to make sure that Edith begged Killian to spare her life.

Lizé grew thinner by the day until the day of the Riegelhoff's execution.

'What if...... the third exception condition is met? What then?'

The future Lizé knows will disappear, yet time goes on.

Facing an unknown future and becoming old and ugly would be a disaster for Lizé.

'I don't want that! What should I do?'

For the first time in her life as Lizé, she felt helpless. As helpless as a soldier standing on an execution ground.

"Edith Riegelhoff has been captured!"

"She's being led this way now!"

Fortunately or unfortunately, Edith was caught first by Cliff's knight, not Killian.

'Please struggle and ask for mercy when you are brought in...... please......'

Lizé had hoped that Edith would have one last hope to live, but as had been the case since the thirteenth Edith had been possessed, her hope was dashed.

As she trudged along behind the knights, there was not the slightest hint of will to live on her face.

Lizé rushed to her side.

"Edith! Why, why did you do that?"

"What?"

Edith looked genuinely puzzled.

"For God's sake, Edith, say it was a mistake, say you're truly sorry! Killian has a big heart, he's not going to ignore your begging!"

Lizé had never made such a wholehearted appeal before.

She begged, desperately, for Edith to rebel against death even a little.

But Edith shook her head.

Ignoring Lizé's pleas to clear up the misunderstanding, Edith finally bared her pale, slender neck to Killian, who now was supposed to behead her.

'Please! Please!'

Lizé's internal scream was cut short by the system's voice.

[The third exception condition has been met. An exception has been granted and the author's control has been reduced. The third exception condition will be removed.]

Lizé froze in place.

"Every single one of those Riegelhoffs deserves to be put to death, not only for their treason, but for their heinous deeds."

Opening his mouth as if he were about to slit Edith's throat, Killian added with a faint smile.

"My wife's name, by the way, has been Edith Ludwig ever since she married me. If Edith is a Riegelhoff, that's an insult to House Ludwig, isn't it?"

Lizé was stunned by the 'exception' that the fulfillment of the third exception condition had created.

'Everyone wants to kill Edith, and Killian saves her......'