Chapter 73

"Ugh......!"

As he tried to recall the past, a headache suddenly hit him.

It was the most intense pain he had felt in a long time.

Killian hurriedly reached into his desk drawer and grabbed a headache pill.

Just then, there was a knock on his door.

"Who is it?"

"Young master, Samuel would like to see you."

"Samuel......?"

Edith had told me to let Samuel go, so I did.

I wonder why he wants to see me again.

"Let him in."

The painkillers slowly kicked in, and the throbbing headache subsided.

Then, Samuel walked in hesitantly.

"Sit down."

"Oh, no, you'll get your precious furniture dirty."

Killian sighed and flopped into a chair alone.

"Is there anything else you want to tell me?"

"T- that......"

"I don't like talking in circles, I'm sure you know that."

"I- I'm sorry, I swear it wasn't me who left those screws loose in the cockpit. I definitely checked everything the day before."

"You're not here to tell me what you've been saying for three days, are you?"

"N- no, but...... as I was going back earlier, one thing suddenly occurred to me, and that was......"

Killian's eyes widened at that.

"What?"

"The night before the accident...... Master Cliff came to visit. He said he needed to get something out of his yacht, so I accompanied him out, and in the meantime, I left my cabin unlocked."

Samuel was the only one living in his cabin near Lake Everton, and he kept all the keys to the Ludwig family's yachts inside.

"I don't see how anyone could have stolen the key and tampered with the wheelhouse of my yacht in the meantime...... and how you could be away like that?"

"I- I just remembered that I didn't mention it, and yes, I'm guilty of not locking the door properly and not checking before I left. I'm really sorry......"

After confessing his sins, Samuel knelt on the floor, shaking.

"But why are you confessing it? If you had kept your mouth shut, you would have gotten away with it."

Samuel wouldn't have been in this much trouble if he had kept his mouth shut, because Edith would have forgiven him and let him go.

"I can't help but feel sorry for Miss Edith, she's such a kind and compassionate person...... I'm sorry...... I did something so stupid...... hic...... I'm sorry......"

The man in his 50s begged for forgiveness with tears streaming down his face, saying he was sorry to Edith......

Edith's forgiveness brought out the "memory" that intimidation and threats had failed to bring out.

Killian smiled faintly, remembering Edith's words that commoners are human too, that the unlearned should be more forgiving.

"Get up, Samuel."

"Hic, sob......"

"Edith believes you couldn't have done anything bad on purpose or been bribed by someone. So...... I'll believe you too."