Chapter 142

8. Flashback (1)

How did I end up like this?

Lizé leaned against the cold stone wall of the imperial prison, trying to make sense of the situation she still couldn't believe.

She had lived this life over and over again, as Lizé Sinclair, and then as Lizé Ludwig, but never once had she seen the imperial prison. This life was supposed to be the same.

But the dank air she felt now was too creepy to be a dream, and her forearms still tingled from the guards' grasp.

'What did I miss? Why the hell did I end up like this?'

A single tear slid down her cheek and onto her dress.

But Lizé didn't even realize she was crying.

She was just racking her brain, desperately trying to figure out what went wrong.

'Yeah, it's been since that bitch Edith came.'

That same day that had been so exciting and thrilling at the time, but looking back, it was the beginning of all her misfortunes......

Lizé began to recall the events from 'that day'.

***

The majestic strains of the pipe organ spread out in concentric circles.

Edith, Count Riegelhoff's daughter, walked slowly down the center of the wedding hall, as formal and stately as a duke's wedding could be, despite its simplicity.

'It's finally happening.'

Lizé, who had been watching the wedding next to the Duchess, smiled inwardly.

The 13th Edith had finally entered Lizé's narrative.

'How will this one go wild and entertain me again?'

This was the thirteenth time she had made someone else's soul possess Edith, but this moment was always a mixture of nervousness and anticipation.

And every time she felt this thrill, she felt alive.

'This one started out like the others.'

After quickly accepting that she had transmigrated into a Rofan novel, the 13th Edith was moving in the opposite direction from the original story, trying to avoid the evil the original Edith had done.

At the dinner a week earlier, not only did she pretend to be nice and accept Lizé, but she also declared that she would not bring a Riegelhoff maid to the Ludwig mansion.

'But on average, I think she's a little on the bold side. There were some kids who froze in their tracks at the Riegelhoff when they realized Edith's hidden settings.'

Lizé's heart skipped a beat as she realized this wasn't going to be a dull game.

The wedding went off without much fuss.

Killian made no secret of his dislike for Edith, and the reception was over quickly.

'She's holding up pretty well. This one's going to be fun.'

Edith was unfazed by Killian's rudeness, and it was a pleasure to see her fulfill her role as bride with a smile on her face throughout the chilly reception.

It is the funniest thing to see someone so persistent in the midst of a struggle when all that awaits them is destruction.

"Lizé. The reception is drawing to a close, will you please escort Edith to her chamber?"

"Yes, ma'am."

Lizé approached Edith at the Duchess's request.

"Miss Edith. I will escort you to the bridal chamber."