Chapter 140

6. Dream

I've been sleeping more since I got pregnant, and I dream a lot.

But even so, I rarely remember them, until one day when I was nearing my due date, I had a really vivid dream.

'Huh? This smell......'

It was a smell I'd long forgotten, but couldn't quite put out of my mind.

It was the dank, damp smell of the stairs of an old multi-family house.

"Fuck, ahhh, really, shit!"

Someone was muttering.

And somehow I thought I knew who it was.

"Is she really dead? Oh, I'm going crazy!"

As expected, it was my brother.

His breath reeked of alcohol every time he opened his mouth.

He ran down the stairs and put his hand under my nose on the floor, then ran back up the stairs and paced around.

"Calm down, calm down. For now, I have to...... run."

My brother's eyes scanned the area to make sure there were no witnesses, and his gaze fell on my bag on the floor.

'You can't just run away.'

I watched from above as he rummaged through my bag.

Despite his shaking, he found my wallet, shoved it into his arms, and ran off.

I didn't feel the slightest bit of affection for him.

But as expected, he was quickly caught.

He'd made cash withdrawals using my card at various places, so there was no way his tail wasn't going to be traced. He was caught on CCTV at every convenience store he went to.

He even used my card to buy cigarettes at a local convenience store at dawn after a night of gambling......

'Ugh, that idiot.'

My brother ran away from the police, but when he was caught, he was dragged away obediently as if he had given up on everything.

The scene changed and I saw a familiar place in front of me. It was the company I used to work for.

"What the hell is going on? This is the first time in my life that I know the person involved in an incident that made the news."

One coworker whispered to another, but the expressions on their faces were more of interest and curiosity than pity or sadness.

If anything, the complexions of Ahn Young-eun, who had hit me in the back of the head, and Manager Park, who had shown his annoyance at me, were worse.

– I feel so bad. I was really mean to Soo-na the day she died.

– What? What did you do?

– Something mean. I didn't realize it would be the last time I would see her.

– Hey, it's already in the past, and regretting it won't change anything. Just get over it.

Ahn Young-eun sighed as she was talking to someone in the company via internal messenger.

Just then, Manager Park got off the phone with someone and slowly stood up from his seat.

He looked around and said,

"Attention. After work today, I want two or three of us to go to Soo-na's funeral as a representative...... Anyone want to go?"