Chapter 128

"As soon as you're well enough, we'll go straight to Ryzen. To an estate where you won't be hurt anymore, and where we can grow together."

"Are you sure you're okay with me?"

"I don't know what you're asking, a lord takes his wife to his estate, do I have to meet any other criteria?"

"No, well, fine then."

As far as I was concerned, I'd given Killian plenty of chances.

If he regrets it later, that's his own fault.

***

A long sigh came from the far side of the dark room.

The room was dark not because the sun had set. It was because Lizé, looking like she was having a nervous breakdown, had demanded that all the curtains be drawn.

"Maybe I should have asked you before, Lizé. Why did you want to get rid of...... Edith?"

Cliff, the one who sighed, asked in a low voice to Lizé, who was covering herself with a blanket.

"......you don't understand," Lizé replied, her voice barely above a whisper.

Cliff sighed deeply again.

It had been a week since Lizé had locked herself in her room.

As for what happened in the dungeon, she cried and asked why no one believed her, and later said she didn't know why she did it. Then, when the Duke came and questioned her, she changed her story, saying she didn't remember.

Lizé's behavior was obviously suspicious, and the Ludwigs, no longer subject to the flow of the original story, did not give her the unconditional support they had before.

The same suspicions that had been directed at Edith were now directed at Lizé, and she was unable to answer their point-by-point questioning.

Duke Ludwig, who had loved Lizé like his own daughter and trusted her unconditionally, felt betrayed and shocked. He couldn't even tell the Duchess for fear she might collapse from shock.

But Cliff was a fervent believer in Lizé, no matter how the world was reordered.

"You don't need my understanding to help you; if I had only known you wanted me to, I would have gladly helped you. Why didn't you tell me?"

The sobbing subsided.

"Do you think you would have loved me and been there for me even if you had known what I wanted?"

"Of course I would. The night before Edith fell into the lake, do you really think I went there without knowing anything?"

At that, Lizé's head finally poked out of the blanket.

"You...... knew?"

She believed it was all in her power to send Cliff out there to distract the manager while she sent someone to break the wheelhouse of Killian's yacht.

"You suddenly said you had dropped an earring on my yacht the night before Killian and Edith were to go boating, and even I, the dumbest man in the world, could figure out that you were up to something."

Lizé was stunned.

But Cliff's confession didn't end there.

"The truth is, the whole reason I suggested Edith go boating, and the whole reason I told you about it...... was to see what you thought."

"What?"

"Well, I didn't know you wanted to kill Edith, of course, but I expected something to happen."