Chapter 85

"It was a joke. But it's weird. I said it was on Killian's mouth, why are you covering your mouth, sister-in-law?"

Oh...... you got me.

Killian blushed, obviously embarrassed.

"Don't you have anything better to do than make a stupid joke......"

"You haven't been able to take your eyes off her since arriving here, so I thought I'd make fun of you at least for once. Haha!"

Cliff laughed lightly, then whispered in Killian's ear, "Archduke Langston is here, and his followers are swarming around him right now, including Count Riegelhoff, so you'd better keep an eye on your wife."

The joviality faded quickly, and Cliff and Killian's faces grew stern.

"And Lizé?"

"The Princess took her and refused to let her go."

"And how is the Sinclairs?"

"They're still there, but strangely enough, they seem to be watching you and your wife more closely than Lizé."

Oh, so I wasn't the only one who noticed.

It makes me even more suspicious that the Sinclairs are the ones behind the embroidery thread incident.

"Okay. You take care of Lizé."

"You take care of yourself."

Cliff patted Killian on the shoulder and walked away.

'It's so weird to see Cliff wandering around without Lizé. He said the Princess is with Lizé, so is it that episode?'

I glanced over to see what was going on in the ballroom, and it turned out to be an episode from the original story.

Princess Catherine was receiving greetings from the other ladies, with Lizé by her side.

'So this is it, the episode that brought together all the young ladies who had looked down on Lizé as an illegitimate child and caused them to bow their heads!'

They were paying their respects to the Princess, but at the same time, they were bowing down to Lizé.

But no one could say anything. After all, it was the law that a young lady accompanying the Princess must not bow to anyone other than the Princess herself.

Besides, it was a great metaphor.

Soon to be Cliff's wife, Lizé would not have to bow to any of those young ladies.

'It was a 'cider' event, a way for Lizé to step out of her birthright.'

From now on, all Lizé will have to do is make more 'cider' events.

'One of which involves Count Riegelhoff, and the beheading of me.'

I could feel the tension in the air, like a knot in my stomach.

But Killian suddenly put his arm around my shoulders. "Don't be anxious. As long as you stay by my side, no one will hurt you."

His warmth radiated through the fabric.

My heart, which had been fluttering in anxiety, calmed down.

"Thank you, Killian."

I took a deep breath and followed him into the ballroom.

Princess Catherine kept Lizé at her side, giving the other young ladies a taste of humiliation before returning her to Cliff, who had approached them, unhappy but having no choice.

It was quite entertaining to watch the Princess, who had previously had a crush on Cliff, get into a cold war with Cliff over Lizé.

"Looks like Lizé's had enough of the Princess, she's going to collapse," I muttered.