And she wouldn't have said a word back.

If something like this happened to her, she would have been accused of being lustful.

'But I'm not going to be taken advantage of in the future.'

I decided to be strong, not just for myself, but for the sake of Edith in the original story.

Fortunately, after the failure of the young lady and the disgraced retreat of the old viscount, the Archduke of Langston's faction did not rush to me.

Instead, I could feel several of those Emperor's faction casting me sneering glances.

"My, my, what courage, to think of coming along with the Duchess."

And here. One young lady decided to start a fight directly.

"Hello, Lady Sinclair."

"Hmph."

Leila Sinclair, who walked past me–her words inaudible only to my ears–smiled brightly and stepped to the Duchess' side.

She gave the Duchess the most polite curtsy she could muster and asked how she was doing, as if I was invisible.

'But I won't let her get away with it, not when she's trying to take my place.'

Leila seemed willing to endure the humiliation of bowing to Lizé for the sake of being next to Killian.

"It's been a long time, Lizé."

She greeted Lizé, who stood stiffly at the Duchess' side.

"......it's been a long time, Sister Leila."

"Lizé. I know it's too late, but even now I want to beg your forgiveness. I know I've been so mean to you."

Of course you know. You meant to be mean, and you did, how could you not realize it?!

"Sister......"

"I was so young and immature then, and I was afraid that you would steal my father's love."

Leila took out a handkerchief and pressed it to the corners of her eyes. If she pressed like that, tears that weren't there to begin with would come out.

"I'm not going to ask you to forgive me right away. Slowly is fine...... we are sisters after all."

Lizé looked at the Duchess hesitantly before giving a small nod.

Of course, it would be hard to shake her head no in this situation.

'You're surprisingly clever, Leila.'

She is also good at manipulating Lizé.

"But I wonder......"

Leila glanced in my direction, then back to Lizé, looking concerned.

"Are you okay? I know I'm late asking how you are, but I heard a rumor that you got in trouble because of someone."

"Yes? Who......?"

Lizé tilted her head, unable to comprehend at once.

Then Leila took a step closer to her and whispered something in her ear.

Only then did Lizé's gaze dart to me and then away.

'You decided to use Lizé to get rid of me? Isn't this a too much twist to the original story?'

I can't believe Leila of House Sinclair, who remained Lizé's enemy until the end, changed her stance so quickly.

Before I could say anything, I was gritting my teeth, and the Duchess spoke up for me again.

"Miss Leila. Where did you hear that?"

"Sorry?"

"I thought you might have gotten it wrong."

"Well, I don't think so, for apparently someone said that Miss Edith nearly killed Lizé, though I forget where I heard it."

"Even if that's true, it's a very confidential matter within our family, and it wouldn't have reached your ears, unless someone had planted a spy or something."

The Duchess spoke as if she'd heard a funny joke, and it left Leila speechless.

'The Duchess is looking very cool today.'

I smiled at Leila with a look that said, "Where did you hear that? You're so funny."

Leila's smug, triumphant face instantly contorted.

'She needs to work on her facial expressions.'

But as if realizing my thoughts, Leila snorted and attacked again.

"Yeah, I guess the rumor started because the young lady of House Riegelhoff is in a place where she doesn't belong."

She said it a little louder so that the people around her could hear.

The people who were still looking at me with unfriendly eyes nodded in agreement.

'This atmosphere, isn't this something that even the Duchess can't get over in a carefree manner?'

It wasn't just one person, but many nobles from the Emperor's faction were watching.

But then, a savior appeared.

"You should apologize to Miss Edith for saying baseless rumors."

It was the Princess Catherine.

"Y- Your Highness......!"

"It's a rumor I've heard, too, but from what I've been able to ascertain, it was set up by someone to frame Miss Edith."

"Is that so?"

"Besides, Miss Edith isn't a Riegelhoff anymore. She's Edith Ludwig, isn't she?"

Leila didn't answer that question. She just clenched her molars and lowered her gaze.

However, Princess Catherine's personality was not gentle enough to pay close attention to other people's feelings.

"Miss Leila Sinclair. Did you not hear me, or do I need to say it again?"

"N- no, you are right, Your Highness."

Her voice sounded firmly offended.

Princess Catherine snorted at Leila's haughty demeanor and leaned closer to her.

"I've heard that there's a force disrupting the cohesion within the Emperor's faction these days...... is it Count Sinclair?"

"Sorry? N- no, absolutely not, Your Highness!"

"Then do not be greedy. Killian Ludwig is not a man you can easily touch."

Princess Catherine already knew that Leila was aiming for the seat next to Killian.

Just as she was about to turn to Lizé and me, Leila suddenly asked, "Is Sir Killian Ludwig a man that Edith Riegelhoff can easily touch?"

Evidently, her ego and pride had overcome her fear.

And to answer that question, no, he's not an easy man for me, either, so he won't be any easier for you.

But Princess Catherine gave a very interesting answer, perhaps to take my side.

"Can't you see it? He's in love with Edith. I've been friends with him for 18 years, and I'm still surprised every time I see him."

I know she's sticking up for me, but it's so...... so embarrassing. Especially in front of Lizé, Killian's longtime crush, and Killian's mom......!