They ended the conversation in a friendly mood.

***

Upon hearing the news of the arrival of Count Sinclair, Cliff purposely took Lizé out while Killian and I stayed in the parlor with the Duchess.

The Duchess said, "They'll probably come out here for a little talk before heading back."

The Duchess also seemed less than pleased with Count Sinclair's visit.

After all, this was a family that had harassed Lizé, whom she considered a daughter, and was still harassing her with a steady stream of malicious rumors.

Killian was no different. "I don't know how thick the faces of shameless humans are, I wish I could skin them and see."

He said it in a hushed tone, and I got goosebumps because I knew he could really do it if he set his mind to it.

'Come to think of it, killing Edith with a single slash of the sword across her throat is quite merciful in the original story, at least she isn't tortured.'

Maybe the original Killian feels some kind of compassion for Edith.

......or because he has to quickly kill all the Riegelhoffs and their people.

While I was pondering these zero-productivity thoughts, the Duke entered the parlor with Count Sinclair and his children.

The Duchess, who had been looking displeased until just now, greeted them with a smile as bright and benevolent as ever.

"I hope you haven't had too much tea," she said, "because I've prepared an abundance of refreshments."

At the Duchess' gesture, the waiting maids set the tea and refreshments on the table.

The black tea steams up fragrantly, and the freshly baked scones with heavy cream and strawberry jam look absolutely delicious.

But Leila, seated across from me, seems to be more busy staring at Killian than at the delectable refreshments.

I understand, of course.

Even if it were me, I'd spend the whole time here looking at Killian before going home. I wouldn't even blink.

The mood at tea time wasn't bad.

Killian remained expressionless the entire time, but the Duke and Duchess are more socialized people, so they led the conversation with their dignity.

But I felt out of the loop and on the periphery of the conversation.

I don't know if it was intentional or unavoidable, but the topics of conversation were all about things from the past that I didn't know about.

I didn't think it would be helpful to chime in anyway, so I just smiled quietly and sipped my tea, and somehow made eye contact with Leila.

Contrary to my expectation that she would only give me a quick glance, Leila smiled brightly and said, "I am sorry, Miss Edith...... but I need to wash my hands."

She must have needed to use the restroom.

I could have called a maid to take her, but she seemed to have something to say to me, so I stood up.

"Please come this way."

"Thank you."

Leila followed behind me, her expression quite different from when she was at the National Day ball.

As soon as we entered the hallway to the restroom, she stopped in her tracks and burst out laughing.

"You hide your true colors very well when you're inside the Ludwig mansion, huh?"

Expecting some sort of fight, I replied, "I've been thinking since last time, Miss Leila, that you might want to take a look at yourself before saying anything to anyone else."

"Ha...... what are you talking about?"

"'I am sorry, Miss Edith, but I need to wash my hands.'" I repeated her words, mimicking Leila's innocent expression.

Leila's face quickly turned red. "We'll see how long you can keep up that haughty demeanor. Oh, and by the way, did you hear that my family got the rights to distribute iron ore from the north?"

"I don't know, I'm not interested."

"Well, since you're not interested in the way the world works, I suppose you are. You do realize that it was the Riegelhoffs' iron ore distribution rights that allowed you to marry Sir Killian, right?"

She looks so excited, I can't believe she's been waiting all this time to show it off to me.

"It's not until next year that my family gets the iron ore distribution rights, that's your expiration date for your position."

"An expiration date you say......?"

Leila raised her brow at my snarky tone.

"You see, Duke Ludwig had no choice but to take you as his daughter-in-law because of the alliance and the iron ore distribution rights, but the alliance is already broken, so what good are the Riegelhoffs' iron ore distribution rights? And yet my family, an ally of House Ludwig, got the iron ore distribution rights. Do you really have no idea what this means?"

I let out a long sigh.

"What is Killian's opinion?"

"Pfft, my goodness, Miss Edith. How could you say something like that? You're the one who forced Sir Killian to marry you against his wishes!"

"So, you're going to do it this time?"

I felt like I could understand Killian a little bit when he first married me.

How disgusted he must be to have a wife in such a way.

Especially since it meant giving up his love for Lizé......

"The restroom's over there, you're not stupid enough to lose your way back to the parlor, are you?"

I pointed nonchalantly toward the end of the hallway.

Apparently not pleased with my condescending attitude, Leila glared at me with the same venomous glare she had during the National Day ball.

"I'm sure Sir Killian would be happy to divorce you."

"Maybe, but that doesn't mean he'll accept marriage to you."

"That's something you don't know."

"I know, and don't look down on Killian Ludwig."

Don't make fun of the time I spent trying to change his mind!

"Then, you can wash your hands now."

I waved and walked toward the parlor, not even looking at Leila.

Even without looking back, I could see Leila gritting her teeth.

But turning away from her, I didn't feel much better.

'So this is how it goes......'

I sighed.

On the other hand, I also felt a little bit unfair.

'No matter what, the Sinclairs are Lizé's main enemies, so is it okay for the story to be twisted like this?'

In the original story, Duke Ludwig mercilessly tramples on the face of Count Sinclair, who belatedly realizes Lizé's value and claims parental rights without shame.