Actually, it's probably a structural problem of this society that doesn't allow women to do anything unless it's with a man and a family, and Edith Riegelhoff before I possessed her wasn't much better. Anyway, they're not in a position to call me a leech.

But they quickly turned red and glared at me.

"We're not like you!"

"Oh, of course we're different, because I'll be the woman who at least married Killian Ludwig, the man you all dream of."

And just then Killian returned with two glasses of champagne.

The young ladies seemed upset that they couldn't say something back to me, but that's none of my business.

"Thank you, Killian."

"You're welcome."

"By the way, Killian. I wanted to ask you something."

"What is it?"

Glancing over at the young ladies, who were staring at me with burning eyes, I asked dryly, "Do you think I'm fawning over you?"

"......you?"

At the word "fawning," Killian gave me a look of incredulity.

"If you think you can do fawning, do it. You're not going to do that in front of anyone but me, are you?"

"No, I'm not. Someone told me I was fawning over you, so I thought I had somehow acquired some kind of advanced skill that I didn't know about."

Killian snorted again.

Then he leaned close to my ear and whispered low, "There was a lot of physical temptation, though."

Hmm. Most of the time it's from his misunderstanding, but I'm in a good mood, so I won't argue.

And thanks to you telling me so closely, those young ladies are about to break their fans.

I grinned in satisfaction and playfully punched Killian in the forearm.

Killian smiled and sipped his champagne.

Anyone can see that we look like a couple flirting.

'Even though my life actually depends on this.'

Looking at the current atmosphere, no one would imagine that Killian would behead me.

Although I'm working on making sure that doesn't happen......

Anyway, despite my unintentional stealing of the spotlight, the rest of the episode, with Lizé as the main character, went well.

It was more shocking for the illegitimate Lizé to be the Princess' closest confidante than for me to be favored by the Princess. Besides, Lizé's dazzling beauty caught everyone's attention.

It was especially entertaining to watch the men fall in love with her, but not dare to approach her because of Cliff's presence.

'If only I could live in this wonderful world of Rofan novel.'

But the problem is always the Riegelhoffs.

'Sooner or later, they will do something......'

It reminded me of a line from an American drama that I had never seen in person in my previous life, but had only seen parody memes or clips of it many times.

'Winter is coming.'

[T/N: Game of Thrones LOL.]

In the original, it's a very cold winter when the heads of Edith and the rest of the Riegelhoffs are beheaded.

There's even a gruesome description of blood spurting out of their throats as they're beheaded.

It's still fall, but Count Riegelhoff seems to be getting warmed up, so perhaps sooner rather than later.

'Let's keep your head up!'

It's no longer just about surviving and enjoying the future of wealth and glory.

I genuinely want to have a good life with Killian.

I want to be greedy, too.

***

"Aaaah!"

The sound of cracking and shattering came from Leila's room again.

Damien, who had returned with her from the ball, sighed and watched Leila's rampage.

"All my fears are coming true."

Anton said with a grunt, "I know. When I heard Lizé had bewitched the young masters of House Ludwig, I thought she was just being treated like a mistress......"

"She is a pretty girl, though."

"You think being a mistress of a duchy is just about having a pretty face? If you're an uneducated slut who can't even borrow the power of your own family, you can't even be a Viscount's daughter-in-law, no matter how pretty your face is."

"Maybe she's pretty enough to rise above that," Anton retorted playfully, but Damien's expression did not improve.

"Besides, it seemed the rumors of a feud between Killian Ludwig and Edith Riegelhoff were false......"

"Oh, right. She didn't seem to flinch at the sight of her father on the opposite faction of the Ludwig family."

The whole thing was unexpected.

Lizé showed up on Cliff's arm and flaunted her friendship with Princess Catherine, Edith made no secret of her affection for Killian, and Killian had no intention of abandoning her.

"I think Edith Riegelhoff was more of a shock to Sister Leila than Lizé." Anton chuckled.

Damien frowned. "Why were you blabbing to everyone you met that Edith was abandoned by the Riegelhoffs? I told you to keep it to yourself."

"Shut up!" Leila screeched, even at Damien.

"Who are you to yell at me when you're the one in the wrong? You're the one who's impatient and short-tempered, that's why we're in this mess!"

"Don't be ridiculous! Count Riegelhoff was just blurting out on the spot that he's actually on the side of Archduke Langston, do you think other people don't know that? You think you're the only one who's smart, huh?"

"Wow, what a short-minded little brat. If you're so good, go find your own place," Damien said coldly and walked away.

Anton looked back and forth between his brother and sister, then sighed and left as well.

Leila, left alone, grumbled and broke things for a while longer, then locked herself in her bedroom.

'The Ludwigs must be out of their minds! Why would they keep those bitches with them!'

It was Killian who Leila couldn't understand the most.

Lizé is pretty enough to make men swoon, but Edith is not that pretty.

'Besides, Count Riegelhoff is a complete traitor now, and Killian is going to stay with her? That's ridiculous!'

Leila gritted her teeth, still brimming with anger.

She heard a 'tap-tap' sound from somewhere.

'Huh? What is that? Is it raining?'

At first, Leila dismissed it as raindrops, but then she heard it more clearly than before.

Leila jumped to her feet, tensing up.

The sound was coming from the outermost window of her bedroom.

'W- what's that? Thief? Robber? Assassin?'

As Leila crept toward it, wondering if she should scream, something darted under the window sill, and a grown man quickly disappeared outside the window.

Leila stood still for a long moment, but she didn't hear another strange sound or see any shadows.