I broke out in a cold sweat and told him what had happened. I tried to keep my emotions out of it and just give him the facts, but it was kind of frustrating because it made me feel like I was the culprit.

'Is this going to make Renon think I'm weird?'

While I was worrying about that, Renon nodded, then suddenly said, "That's weird."

"Well, it's been weird."

"It's not the incident itself, it's just that I don't understand the behavior of the people of this house."

"Yes? Like what?"

I widened my eyes, even more puzzled that Renon, a longtime vassal of the Ludwig family, couldn't understand the Ludwig people.

"Why didn't anyone think of Miss Lizé as a suspect?"

"Yes?"

"Miss Lizé could have been the culprit in all of those incidents. No way, you didn't realize that either, Miss Edith?"

I looked around the office in a panic in case anyone had heard.

"Renan, is that what you think?"

"Yes. I think it's what anyone would think."

"......thank you."

"I didn't say this to get a thank you."

"I know."

Again, Renon seems to be less affected by the author due to him being an unnamed extra.

Renon makes this simple assumption, one that no one in the Ludwig family would have thought of.

Conversely, the Ludwig family is closer to the main character, so could it be that they are controlled by the author?

"I know what you are saying, Renon, but I think it's best we don't talk about this, and since you're a vassal of the Ludwigs, it wouldn't do you any favors to offend Sir Cliff or His Excellency."

Renon looked shocked for a moment at my words, then broke into a hollow laugh.

"That young lady of the Sinclair family wields a great deal of power in this mansion."

"Don't say things like that."

I tensed, afraid I'd unnecessarily put Renon in a bad light.

"There's no way Cliff or Killian couldn't have thought of that, but...... there's no evidence anywhere that Lizé is the one who did it."

"So you're saying she's innocent."

"Well, yeah."

"That principle of presuming innocence in the absence of hard evidence, why didn't it apply to you?"

That's what I said.

I feel like my heart is pounding now that I have someone to communicate with, but I can't bring myself to show it.

"Because they found things that seemed to point to me as the culprit, even if the evidence was flimsy...... and that's why it's so easy to think that way."

I smiled weakly at Renon.

But rational, logical Renon shook his head as if this didn't make much sense.

"Renon. Don't even think about it. The Sinclairs could be the culprits, and maybe...... my own family."

"Don't worry about it. I'm not interested in anything but my own safety."

"I'm glad to hear that, so let's get on with today's work, shall we?"

I smiled and took the documents from him.

It was nice to see the documents after a long time.

"I was going to ask you to do this last time, but things got in the way. In the future, I'd like you to check the documents for the Ryzen estate."

"Ryzen?"

"Yes. It's where Master Killian and you will be going. It's a bit far from the big city, but it's a nice estate."

At the mention of a place for me and Killian to go, I suddenly felt a surge of affection for the documents.

"What do you need me to do?"

"I need you to get the tax and production records for the last ten years and organize them for me. Think of it as a head start for you yourself."

"Okay. Thank you, Renon."

I flipped through the ten volumes of thickly bound folders one by one, trying to get a handle on the situation at the estate where I and Killian would be living.

I have seen the tax receipts of some of the estates before, so I can tell that Ryzen's production capacity isn't bad.

The population is a little disappointing compared to 21st-century Korea, especially Seoul, but the age distribution, sex ratio, and productivity per capita put a smile on my face.

'This is where Killian and I are going to live build our territory......'

My heart skipped a beat at the thought.

I should have played some kind of territory development game in my previous life. No, what's the point?

Anyway, we're going to develop this estate that has a lot of potential, but is still a bit underdeveloped in one way or another.

Just thinking about it made me feel proud and motivated.

By utilizing the memories of my previous life, I might even be able to turn Ryzen into one of the best estates in the empire.

'So, please, may I survive and be able to leave for Ryzen with Killian.'

I prayed silently.

***

Today, the Countess of Sinclair's tea party was in full swing, as House Sinclair has been trying to expand its power lately.

Leila was there, and she received some unexpectedly upsetting news.

"Did you hear the news? Edith Riegelhoff almost drowned in the lake!"

"Oh, my God, how did that happen?"

"Well, her yacht malfunctioned, and it happened in a flash."

Up to that point, the story was pretty exciting.

But the gossip monger went on to tell a very disappointing story.

"But Sir Killian jumped into the lake himself and rescued Miss Edith, that's what they say was so wonderful!"

"My goodness...... the sons of that family are so brave, they all look like His Excellency the Duke of Ludwig!"

Leila's excited face crumpled in disappointment.

But she didn't give up hope, and cautiously joined in the conversation.

She asked, "So, how is Miss Edith doing now?"

Leila expected to hear that she was on the verge of death, but once again, her hopes were dashed.

"Oh, it was a scare, she wasn't even breathing when Sir Killian first got her, they said she woke up after three days, but she's doing fine now."

Leila gripped her fan tighter.

'It would be nice if she just died right away or was unconscious until the end of the year with nothing to go on!'

Her breath was ragged with anger, but she couldn't show it.

Then came an interesting story.

"You know, the yacht malfunctioned...... and they say it was because someone deliberately tampered with the wheel."

"Oh, my God! Are you saying someone was trying to hurt Sir Killian?"

"No. Sir Killian is an excellent swimmer, and who usually dies in boating accidents?"

Everyone at the tea party fell silent at the sudden question.