Chapter One Hundred and Fourteen - Vim - A Safe-house For Those Without

The Clothed Woman was kneeling in front of Renn to offer her a small prayer.

Renn was obviously uncomfortable but kept herself still as the Clothed Woman mumbled softly, thanking the gods she believed in for this meeting and in hopes that they keep blessing her.

Other than Renn, who was currently dressed like a mercenary, the scene was very pious. It was in a small wooden church. The woman kneeling before Renn was covered head to toe in white and gray garbs of religious tones... and of course there was a giant cross of faith looming over the two.

Though, that cross was not a normal one. If any other church in this land saw such a cross they'd burn it down.

But the cross and the gods the Clothed Woman were praying to, that Renn didn't recognize, weren't the reason for her prickly expression.

"Amen," The Clothed Woman said as she slowly got up from her kneeling.

Renn breathed a small sigh of relief and nodded. "Amen," she said, always seemingly copacetic with others. Did she even realize that the woman in front of her was a believer in what her faiths deemed the enemy?

A part of me wanted to tell her, to see what she'd do and say... but another part of me hoped it'd stay hidden.

The Clothed Woman didn't have many friends, because of her faith. Even amongst the Society it was seen as something wrong.

"As always Vim brings another when I least expect it. You'd think by now I'd be used to it..." the Clothed Woman sighed, and her white face coverings danced a little as she shook her head.

I noticed Renn's eyes fixate on her face. She was trying to sneak a peek beyond the cloths... but I knew she'd be unable to. Even with her keen senses it wasn't possible. Beneath those white coverings were actually more cloth. Cloth that was wrapped around her entire body.

"Vim does rudely just show up without notice," Renn agreed.

The Clothed Woman chuckled and glanced at me. I didn't need to be able to see her facial expressions to know what she was chuckling over.

"I plan to have Renn meet Brandy. I've been told she's in Lumen," I told her our reason for being here.

"Ah... she had been. And will be again. She left about a month ago to the Bell Village, to deliver something. She'll return to Lumen likely within a week or two," the Clothed Woman said calmly. I noticed she called it a village and not a church, as it should have been. Did Renn notice it however?

"Typical of her. She's one of the few I ever have to wait on. Do you mind if we stick around here for a couple days before heading to Lumen?" I asked.

The Clothed Woman giggled and looked to Renn. "I'd be delighted to have you, welcome," she said to Renn.

"And your gods? They're okay with it?" I asked before Renn could say anything.

"My, so studious of you. Would you oblige them if they did take offense?" the Clothed Woman asked me.

"She would, probably," I said with a shrug.

Renn nodded quickly.

The Clothed Woman stared at her for a moment, and I heard a soft shift under her bandages. Renn's ears twitched, implying she heard the odd sound too. That hadn't just been the sound of skin, and Renn knew it. Though did she recognize the sound of something that no longer existed anywhere else?

"How could the gods not favor such a thing? Come, let's get you some tea. I noticed your voice sounded a little dry," the Clothed Woman calmly gestured for Renn to follow her out of the church and to the nearby house.