Chapter Seventy Nine - Renn - A Cold Night's Warm Back

No!

Sitting up quickly, I heaved a wordless cry... and realized it had all just been a dream.

Yet my heart still thumped. My body still ached, as if I had just ran for my life.

The blanket had slid off as I sat up, and the cool air felt a lot colder as it touched my sweat covered skin.

Breathing heavily, I closed my eyes and rubbed my forehead. It was slimy, and felt hot.

Was I sick? Hurt? How long had it been since I had a nightmare like that?

After a few moments of calming myself, I realized I wasn't doing it very well. My heartbeat was still far too fast... my head was throbbing, and...

Had I woken Nory?

Looking to my left, as to look across the cabin... I froze at the sight of a balcony.

There was a large curtain covering it, but a brightly lit full moon was illuminating it strongly enough to see through it. I could see a bench... and an unfamiliar... wall? What was that beyond the balcony?

No... forget that, where was Nory and...

Looking around, I realized I wasn't in our cabin. I was in a strange room, which was far too big... far too clean... and...

Blinking wildly, I frowned as I remembered where I was.

In bed. In Telmik.

With...

The bed shifted, and I felt the man next to me roll over. In the dark I saw his eye reflect a little as he checked on me.

Shaking a little as my hot sweat quickly cooled off, and made me cold, I wordlessly apologized to the man I had just woken up.

Without a word back Vim reached over and put his hand on my back. His calloused hand firmly patted me, as if to reassure me.

"Sorry..." I whispered. Had I screamed? I didn't remember doing so, but that didn't mean I hadn't...

Gulping, I slowly laid back down. Although I had done so slowly, Vim still hadn't moved his arm in time. It ended up underneath my pillow, below my head.

He shifted, to both free his arm and to pull the blanket back over us. I felt horribly embarrassed as he put the blanket back over me, and with a small huff he rolled back over. Putting his back to me, Vim laid back down.

My heart slowed its quick pace, yet beat just as hard. This time at least it wasn't in fear.

Wiping my face, I held my hand up above me and stared at the glimmering on it. Sweat and tears.

With a small huff of my own, I let my arm fall. I squeezed the blanket a little as I tried to remember what my dream had been about.

I could still feel the urgency. The terror... it was clawing at me from inside... Yet I couldn't remember anymore what exactly had happened.

Had it been one about my family?

Nory?

The Sleepy Artist?

Shivering a little, I ignored the feeling of new tears as they slid down the side of my face.

Why? I'd been doing so well. Even in the beginning, when I had been staying at the Sleepy Artist... I hadn't had any nightmares there either.

I had thought I was finally over them.

Yet...

Glancing to my right, at Vim's back, I felt horrible. It had been a miracle he had even laid in bed with me, and I just had to go and do this.