Hugh - Crashed the Wedding

Start from the beginning

Her dad knew he had Hugh. He smiled to himself. "Let her live a better life Hugh, if you really care about her and want her to be happy." With that, her dad turned and walked inside the house, locking the door. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hugh opened his eyes again and looked over at his clock, only an hour had passed. He hated that dream, it happened pretty frequently. That night had happened three years ago, but he would never forget that night.

He sat up and rubbed at his eyes, the memory of what else happened that night flooding back in. His climbing to [Name]'s window that night. His break up with her. The look of sadness and betrayal on her face. That look in particular was burned into his memory. The only girl he ever loved, hated him. Maybe that's why she invited him, to get back at him.

Without knowing why, he grabbed the rip up invitation from his trash, and slowly taped it back together.

For four months, Hugh stared at the invitation. It was way past the RSVP date, not that he'd planned on going anyway. But today was the day. The date January 12th nagged at him. [Name] was probably getting ready right now, doing her hair and makeup, putting on a flawless white gown that she would look absolutely stunning in.

Someone knocked on Hugh's door, but he didn't get up. Just continued to stare, January 12th. "Hugh?" His younger sister and mother opened the door. They were worried, Hugh hadn't left his room all week. Then his mother saw the invitation, saw [Name]'s name, and the date.

His sister moved first, hugging her brother's side. Then his mother came over and hugged her otherwise. The warmth of his family was too much, and tears finally fell, dripping onto the invitation, staining and smearing the lettering. "I should never have let her go..." Hugh mumbled, trying but failing to stifle the crying. His mother rubbed his back softly. "I know sweetie...but she's getting married, try to be happy for her..." She said softly. Hugh furiously shook his head. 

"Go get her." His sister finally said. "What!?" Hugh and his mother exclaimed at the same time. His sister shrugged, "You work as a minor league gym leader now. You have good money, even if you still live with us?" She offered. Hugh just hung his head, "[Name] never cared about that...she didn't care that I didn't have a real job. But there's no way I could've made her happy like that..." "Did she tell you that?" His mom asked.

Hugh looked up at her, she had tears glistening in her eyes. "Did she say she wasn't happy with you Hugh?" She asked, voice firmer. Hugh shook his head no. When Hugh broke up with [Name], he just told her she would be happy without her, broke her heart, and then left.

Hugh's mom ripped the invitation from his hand. "The [Name] I knew would never have sent you this out of spite. Not to make you angry. Maybe this isn't what she meant!" Her voice gout louder, Hugh's ears were buzzing. Was [Name] trying to send him a message? 

He stood up and and wordlessly grabbed his belt that held his pokeballs. Before he could step out of the room, his mom blocked the path, returning the invitation to him. Tears of joy and pride shown and dripped down her cheek. "Go get her back Hugh." Hugh grinned wide, and ran out of the house, his sister hot on his heels.

As soon as they were outside, he released his pokémon loudly, grabbing the attention of his neighbors, "Unfezant! Let's fly!" The bird pokémon flew high, before diving down so Hugh could jump on it's back. "Castelia City! Quickly!" 

"What's going on!?" One of the neighbors ran out and asked, watching Hugh's form get smaller and smaller. His sister beamed, "He's gonna go get [Name] back!"

As he and Unfezant flew over Unova, Hugh's head was pounding. He needed to talk to [Name] before she got married. He needed to apologize, tell her he loved her, and how he regretted his actions all those years ago. He probably could've picked a better day to do it, this probably wasn't how she expected her wedding day to go. Better late than never though right?