Chapter 1.

Ann looked out of the window as the spring wind hit her face from the open window in her apartment. It was late March and the evenings began to feel like a warm welcome to her favorite season. She wondered if this time around spring is going to be different. Last year was traumatic. She lost her father due to a car crash a day before her birthday- on 29th of August. The memory will forever haunt her as she was the first to arrive at the accident. It was a core memory in her brain that haunted her ever since. The world stopped for a period of time. Her mother, Sophie, suffered from depression and Ann quit her job to take care of her. She was an only child, so they were left alone, depending on one another. Her mom was everything to her. As a child, she was the greatest supporter and cheerleader of her, when she sang at school events. Always the first one to stand up and engage the crowd to cheer. Even though they didn't really have the money, she never slept hungry. It was only fair that right now it was the time for her to take care of her mother.

Everything changed once Ann got a proposal to be a backup singer for a small band called Sleepover. Even though rock wasn't the kind of music she would normally sing and listen to, she saw it as a big opportunity for her career. The only problem was it meant she had to leave her mother and travel around the United States, always hours away from her, unable to help her when she will need it. But Sophie, as the greatest supporter as she is, insisted that she take the job. Before Ann left, she made sure she had everything she would ever need and also contacted her aunt to ask her to check on her everyday.

She had to move to Los Angeles for a while, because that's where the band was from. They started rehearsing each and every song for the tour. The songs had simple lyrics so it wasn't hard for Ann to catch up. They toured for around 2 months and played about 20 shows. It was a new experience for Ann, but she liked it. Of course her dream was always to be the lead singer, but she took it as a small step in that direction. Everybody had to start somewhere. The only problem was the atmosphere in the band; she never really felt that she fit in. They were all men and they were really taking their job seriously. There was no space for mistakes, therefore a lot of conflicts happened. She was a quiet mouse in the background, scared to say anything.

So once the tour was done, she decided to leave the band. She still had a month till her flight home. It was time to go back to her mom, but... The problem is she really started to like living in California. There were opportunities everywhere for her to evolve. She would spend the rest of her stay playing gigs almost every night in different pubs. Her instagram started to grow followers with every performance. She felt like the world is finally starting to see her for who she is. But she knew her main focus right now should be her mom.

She stared at her notes in which she scribbled her plans for 2023. At the top she wrote in capital letters "PLEASE BE GOOD TO ME". She wanted to forget about the events from last year that left a scar on her favorite season. She looked at the watch on her wrist and realized she still had two hours till her gig. She decided it's the best time to call her mom and talk about future. She dialed her number and waited for response, while feeling her hands starting to sweat.

"Hey, baby." Said Sophie with a soft voice. It was so calming to Ann's ears that she couldn't help, but smile.

"Hey, mummy. Are you busy?"

"Of course not. I always have time for you. Your aunt just left, we had an amazing afternoon today! We had some tea and played cards like old times." Sophie said, unable to hold her joy. Ann found it so cute that she could find happiness in such small things. She felt like she is getting her mother back.

"That's awesome, mom. I'm happy you had a great day." She said a smile still forming on her lips.

"Don't you have a performance today?" Sophie said with a concerned voice, probably now realizing what time it is.

"Yeah, but it doesn't start until 9, so I still have some time left." Reassured her Ann. "Hey mom..." she stopped unable to finish what she wanted to say. She prepared the speech in her mind before the phone call, but now everything was a blur. She was so scared of how she's going to react.

"Yes, honey?" Said Sophie sensing the hesitation in her voice.

"You know my flight home is in a week..." started Ann, her heart skipping a beat.

"You should stay." Sophie's voice interrupted her thoughts. Ann eyes grew big with confusion. How did she know her so well? She knew exactly what she wanted to say, but was too scared to do so.

"Mum, I-"

"I'm okay, sweetie. I've got Nancy here with me, she's more than I could wish for. I finally reconnected with my sister." Ann eyes started to water as she realized the growth in her mother's behavior. "She's thinking about moving in with me, so we can be with each other at all times. I'm really fine. Don't go wasting your career for me."

"You're the most important person in my life, mom." Said Ann tears now falling down her cheeks. She never really had a friend growing up, so she always treated mom as her best friend, sharing every secret with her. She knew that nothing can ever stand between them.

"And you're mine. That's why I want you to bloom, baby girl. I don't want to feel like a rock to you. I want you to feel like I'm your safe harbor. I'll be here whenever you need me or whenever things go bad. But for now, sail away. The world is standing open in front of you."

Her words were exactly what she needed to hear in that moment. She didn't want to leave her mother alone, but she also knew leaving California will only close the doors that were now so vividly calling for her.

"I love you, mom. I promise you, one day, I'm going to buy you a beach house in LA. You're going to love it here." She said closing her eyes and pushing her head back. She imagined what it would be like, just she, her mom and a couple of grandchildren running around the beach in front of their house. She wondered if she will ever be this lucky to find that special someone to start a family with. She got lost in her thoughts, her mum's voice catching her out of it.

"I believe in you. I've got to go now, but I'll talk to you tomorrow. Good luck tonight! I just hope this year is going to be good to you."

Ann opened her eyes and snorted as she looked down at her notes that said the exact same words. She'll never get used to her mind-reading skills.

"Bye, mom. Love you." She ended the call and pushed the phone against her chest. Her mom was her comfort person. She was so happy that she understood.

Guilt started to rush through Ann's mind. She felt selfish, leaving her to pursue her desires. One thing was for certain - she can't disappoint her now. She put her planner on the windowsill and got up. She stretched her arms taking a few deep breaths and walked to her closet. Time to peek an outfit for the night.