Day 30- Shapeshifter

This one might not make very much sense... the ending probably will make about zero sense to anyone other than two or three specific people who probably aren't even reading this. Sorry. This takes place in Minecraft, and is 577 words long. Warning for a little swear word and a little very brief violence.

Grian's shapeshifting abilities were not really a well kept secret on his part, but nobody seemed to figure it out, even when his wings looked different every season. Of course, lots of other hermits looked significantly different from season to season, from other magical sources, most being purely cosmetic magic. And Grian never went out of his way to tell anyone. Besides... it was occasionally useful to be able to pretend to be somebody else and not get caught. In this instance, though, it did not go in his favor, but it was sure a memorable moment.

Grian was minding his own business, looking like Mumbo, sitting on the bridge between the two of their bases. He was sketching absentmindedly in a notebook. He was startled by False landing next to him.

"Oh, hi, False!" Grian greeted her.

"Are you serious?" False asked angrily. "You're really just pretending you didn't- oh, you're just something else, Mumbo."

"Er... did I do something to offend you? I'm sorry?"

"You're kidding. You really think there's anything else it could be? You can't have forgotten, it was YESTERDAY!"

Grian hadn't heard about any fight or anything between Mumbo and False. "I... uh... can you refresh my memory?"

False took a deep breath, clearly restraining herself from violence, which Grian appreciated the effort of. "Does TNT ring a bell?"

What... the hell did Mumbo do yesterday? And how did Grian miss it? "...Is this a good time to mention that I'm not actually Mumbo?"

False blinked. "Excuse me?"

Grian continued, "Yeah, I have no idea what Mumbo did yesterday, but it had nothing to do with me."

While False was apparently struggling to find words to answer, Grian was startled into becoming a hummingbird, because Mumbo was walking up behind her.

"What's going on here?" Mumbo asked.

False took in the sight of the hummingbird and the new Mumbo, and made a split-second decision. She scooped up the hummingbird in her left hand, and used her right hand to punch Mumbo in the face.

"Agh, ow!" Mumbo exclaimed. "What was that for?!"

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" False yelled. "If you didn't do it, and this bird didn't do it," False held up Grian for effect, "Then who did?"

"...What exactly did neither I nor that small bird do?" Mumbo asked.

False sighed. "Yesterday I saw someone who DEFINITELY looked like you light a fuse, and then a few seconds later, a big chunk of my base blew up."

"I was hanging out with Scar most of yesterday," Mumbo said.

Grian fluttered away from False to peck Mumbo for hanging out with Scar without him.

"Ow! Why is your bird attacking me? And why is it also a possible culprit?"

"It's not my bird!" False exclaimed. "It was someone else who looked like you but claimed not to know what happened yesterday and also not to be you and then it was a bird."

"False... are you okay?" Mumbo asked.

"Are you implying I need psychiatric help?"

"Can you at least see why you sound a little crazy?"

"...Yeah, okay, I get your point. But I definitely saw a Mumbo yesterday."

"And this person was neither me nor that bird."

"Apparently."

From beneath the bridge, another Mumbo-like voice called up to False. "Apologies! My mothers requested that I destroy the dwelling of a hermit, and I happened to target you."

Grian fluttered over to investigate the voice. It was... a weird frankenstein-Mumbo. Weird.