Day 16- Poltergeist

if i recall correctly, i was incredibly tired while writing this so if it's unhinged and doesn't make sense, that's why. It takes place in a modern au, is 355 words long, and is connected to the one for day 20. 

Mumbo's apartment wasn't haunted. Nope, not at all. He just had a slight Grian problem.

Who was Grian? Not a ghost, that's for sure. No. He was just a really, really, really good magician pretending to be a ghost haunting Mumbo's apartment. But that was different from an actual ghost, because Grian's just some annoying guy.

Mumbo's apartment wasn't haunted.

"Er..." Mumbo's two brain cells were far too tired to function and the cabinet door was not opening. He wanted a bowl for oatmeal but the door! Wouldn't! Open!

"You have to say the magic word," Grian sang, his voice coming from nowhere visible.

"Uh... abracadabra?" Mumbo asked.

"No, silly! Please is the magic word."

"Well... that's kind of stupid."

"Don't talk back!"

"You're the one faking being a ghost," Mumbo snapped. "Now let me open the cabinet, please."

"Okay! Good job being polite," Grian patronised. The cabinet door flung open, nearly hitting Mumbo in the head. An entire stack of bowls went flying out, clattering to the floor. "I'm really a ghost, though."

Mumbo leaned down to gather up the bowls. "You're lucky these are plastic and didn't break, you little..."

"Ah ah ah! Use nice words!"

"I'm about ready to get a magic repellant security system."

"Good luck with that. It's expensive and won't even work. Besides," Grian said. Mumbo felt an invisible pair of arms wrap around him in a weird invisible unrequited hug. "Do you really want to try to get rid of your best friend?"

Mumbo pushed his way out of Grian's hug. "You're not even my friend. I don't make friends with home intruders."

"Oh? You sound like you're speaking from experience."

"I'm not telling you the story because we're not friends. Buzz off." Mumbo went over to the other cabinet to get cereal.

"Have fun cleaning this up, then. I might've helped you, but you clearly don't want me here right now. I'll be back eventually, though." Grian's voice went silent as soon as the entire cereal box dumped onto the floor.

"Wait a second... uh... wasn't I planning on eating oatmeal anyway?"