Introduction: Remembrance of Things to Pass

• Dedicated to The BEST English Teacher

Remembrance of Things to Pass

        Anonymous

Redundant--repetitive--saying things that I've already said to you all before in class--that's what this feels like. But you'll keep this like a relic or time capsule. I remember rummaging through my old papers and finding my old notebooks from high school, hard evidence of the tides, depths, and high winds of feeling that come once--and never again. Maybe this is what this collection will do for you.

        It surprises me that you're able to draw your memories with sheer clarity--for you to remember what happened in grade five, or grade one, or even preschool. But still, memories have their limits. Everything is impermanent, I've told you before. Even though you know where the wind blows, it's still hard to get around it. That's why we need mementos: things to help us remember--tickets, gifts, photographs, letters, and writing.

        But I know you'll keep the friends you've made here for a long time. That's what my dad taught me. And in the prime of your youth, it will feel like forever--and it should.

        May these essays of yours be like symbols of friendship--proof of bonds that have stood the test of time. And when you meet again--in high school, in college, and beyond--you'll say to each other: "Yeah, I remember that."

                                                                                                March 20, 2013

A/N  The author of this is my English teacher