34

34

Jeremiah went over again the next day, and it was really beautiful how he entered the house.

I was sitting on the couch next to Tom, but not too close because I'm still sick.

So then Jeremiah opens the front door and smiles at us. He went up to Tom and picked him up. He lifts him into the air and kisses the tip of Tom's nose. "Hello, what's your name?" He asks Tom.

I roll my eyes and laugh. He really did go on with the whole "forgetting-Tom's-name-for-me"

"We're friends again, Jem, but I don't want you in Tom's life yet," I told him.

Jem pouts and puts Tom down on the couch again. "Why?"

"Because I like to see you sad," I joked.

Jeremiah puts the groceries he was holding and placed some fruits and vegetables in the kitchen counter.

"Thanks," I smiled when he sat beside me. "And be careful with your proximity. I'm still sick you know?"

"Well, you don't have a fever anymore, just a migraine so I'm betting that it's safe to sit next to you already."

I playfully punched his arm.
"Can I ask why you're here?"

He puts two fingers under his chin and pretends to think. "My horoscope told me to go to your house."

"Uh-huh. And I'm spiderman," I pushed.

He moves away from me and looks around the house in mock panic. "I knew you were. I was wondering why you could swing around trees during high school."

I thought about how I used to climb trees faster than him when we had a tree climbing contest at school.

"You're just jealous," I snickered.

"Well yeah, but we don't need to talk about that," he admitted. "If you're spiderman then I'm Gwen Stacey."

I raised a brow at him. "Why not Mary Jane?" I wondered.

"Didn't you watch that Emma Stone interview? She said that Gwen Stacey loved Spiderman more and that Mary Jane's a slut," he says bluntly.

I laughed out loud. "Slut?" I chortled.

He nods, mock seriousness in his face.

"But if you're Gwen Stacey, that means you'll die," I reminded.

He shrugs. "I'm not scared of dying if it means that you're the last thing I'll ever see."

My cheeks flush. "Stop being a pasteurized dairy. Go make me some orange juice," I ordered and shooed him away with my hands.

Jeremiah winks and stands up from the couch. "Do you mean, cheese? I should stop being cheesy?"

I grunted. "Duh. You're so slow."

"Sorry," he smiles cheekily.

.
.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I ask Jeremiah unsurely as I turn the television off in the middle of the freaky stuffed bear singing the alphabet.

"Yes. Just do it," he reassures me.

Jeremiah has this little experiment with how Tom would react normally if I tried closing the stupid stuffed bear show that drove me crazy and made me uncomfortable for Tom to watch.

With one press on the remote, the television closed and I looked at Tommy immediately.

What a stroke of luck, I thought.

Tommy didn't care that I closed the television during his favorite show! (He was too engrossed in trying to pinch Jeremiah's arm.)

For a second there, I was expecting him to throw his infamous ear-piercing and making-Tawni-crazy tantrum.

"I guess hurting you is better entertainment for him than that stupid stuffed bear," I beamed.

"Well, if you think that it's better for him to be a sadist then that's fine with me as long as you're happy with my pain," he says.

I took Tommy from his lap. I wrap my arms around him as Jeremiah stares at us.

"You guys look so much like each other," he muses.

I kissed the crown of Tom's head. "I'll take that as a compliment."

.
.

Just like yesterday, Jeremiah comes home when Tawni arrives. Tawni again interrogated me about Jeremiah so I just told her everything. Of course she's really happy that at least somehow Jem and I are at the rehabilitating stage of our friendship.

After tucking Tommy in bed, I go to the kitchen to drink some water.

I've been feeling really weak so I told Tawni to watch Tom first as I went out for a "midnight walk" which is the secret code for "actually going somewhere I can't tell anyone"

After buying the things I needed, I went back home, hid the stuff I bought on the cabinet that has never been opened, and went to Tawni's bedroom to fall asleep.

I was doing okay. Everything is normal and not soon do I see myself fixing it completely with Jeremiah. At least we're both trying, right?

Everything's going to be perfectly fine.

Or so I thought it would, if only this stupid uncontrollable sweating and racing heartbeat would calm.