25

25

I followed him to his house.

I slammed the living room door. "Okay, Cody. What's up?" I asked impatiently.

"Nothing," he snapped.

"Do you have any idea how bad it is for guys to sulk around? Its a girl thing," I seethed.

He stood up from his recliner, the veins on his neck popping.
"What? You expect me to treat you the same after betraying me?" He narrows his eyes at me like a raging cat, and I knew better than to tell him that at the moment.

"What's that supposed to mean?!" I retorted.

"You let Jem touch you, hold you, do everything with you!" He shouted. "You know how I feel about him with you!"

"I don't! I don't understand anything, Cody!" Tears were flowing out of my eyes already.

"Since that day Tawni introduced you to us, Jeremiah wanted you. He knew I wanted you too, but no! He became your bestfriend and rubbed it in my face." Cody frustratedly ran a hand through his hair. "I forgave him, of course, because he was my best buddy. But this? This, Brooklyn? It opened my eyes."

"What? How am I supposed to understand you?" I begged. "I don't know what to do, Cody!"

"I'M TRYING TO AVOID YOU BECAUSE I WAS SO IN LOVE WITH YOU AND WHATS BAD IS THAT JEREMIAH IS BEING A HUGE ASS TO YOU AND YOU STILL CAN'T FORGET ABOUT HIM!"

I flopped down his living room carpet.

"But we dated," I breathed. "We were together for two months, Cody."

"Barely!" He retorted. "You could've dated Jeremiah if you wanted even when he didn't give you flowers or chocolates or waited outside your door in the pouring rain.

"Brooklyn, you never appreciate anything I've done for you because you were too busy being in love with your so-called best friend Jem!"

"I'm not in love with him, and I did appreciate everything you've done for me!" I fought back.

"No, you didn't," he gritted his teeth. "During my soccer games, sure, you were there to watch me, but Jeremiah never stopped staring at you. I saw all that."

I shut my eyes to remember. I did. But that wasn't my fault!

"All I want is-" I tried to say.

"What, Brooklyn? I'm done. I'm done with everything. I've been honest with you but all you did was lie to me," he said in finality. "I can't stay friends with you knowing that you and Jeremiah hid a huge secret with us."

I stared at him.

"Sleeping with your best friend is one thing," he said with resentment. "But getting pregnant and hiding it with the guy who wanted to work things with you? Don't even get me started."

With that, he left me in his living room and walked towards his bedroom.

The main door opened, where I see Cody's parents arrive home. I stood up from the carpet and consciously pull my brown leather jacket tighter around my body to cover my baby bump.

"Oh, hello sweetheart! How are you? I was supposed to see you five months ago during Tawni's engagement party but sadly I was still too busy taking care of Cody's father," Jane says.

"It's okay, Ms. Jacobs. Nice to see you now. You too, Sir Jacobs. I've got to go," I abruptly left the house.

.
.
.

Jeremiah's POV

I waited on the end of the red carpet things where people walked on.

I was standing beside a pastor, watching these little girls throw flower petals around as they walked. I barely knew them.

Actually, I don't know who all these people are. They were all invited by Mr. Hamilton. The only relatives and people I know are my parents and my grandparents.

Finally, the pianist plays a more grand version of the wedding tune thing and Alida appears at the end of the red carpet. She was so beautiful. Her hair was tucked in a bun, springs of curls hanging from her head. She wasn't naturally curly so it was definitely just curled by her beauticians. Her wedding dress was huge. Really huge. It was super white and had so much fluff, just like how she always described it to me. I thought about how I would carry her for the pictorial after the wedding. There's no way I could carry such a complicated dress.

She walked slowly towards me, a bridesmaid holding the trail of Alida's veil and gown from behind. She was carrying a bunch of white flowers and her face was covered with a veil as well.

This was it. We were getting married on a beautiful beach side, the weather perfect, and the aura of the occasion light as ever.

I felt it. As much as we were getting married only for business matters, I loved her anyway, so I'm happy as well that I'm getting to marry her.

When she finally stood beside me, I reached for her hand and squeezed it. This was it. We both grinned at each other like idiots.

.

"You may now kiss the bride," the pastor says. I lifted the veil off of Alida's face. I took her cheek with one hand and held her waist with my other. Alida kind of giggled when the my hand contacted with her cheek because I was finally wearing my wedding ring as well.

My face inched towards her slowly, then I kissed her.

.
.
.

Brooklyn's POV
A month later, February

I stood in front of the baby room that Tawni and Ivan designed for me. The room was empty.

While I was alone-which happened frequently- I called for moving men to help me pack up the baby stuff into moving boxes. After that, I called mom to tell Billy that I finished packing the baby stuff as well as mine so they could pick it up.

Not sooner, Bill's hired employees picked up the dozens of boxes. I locked the baby room so when Tawni comes back home, she wouldn't see what I've done. She would kill me when she finds out that I'm leaving without saying goodbye.

I wouldn't lock my own bedroom because she would only get curious so I just made sure to keep my bedroom door closed at all times.

When it was seven in the evening, Tawni and I were sitting together on the dining table.

"So, have you heard?" She asks me.

I swallowed the celery on my mouth. "What?"

"Jeremiah Smith's married."

I had the urge to drop my fork. But then I thought, I wouldn't be affected by this news. I mean, I'm leaving next month, I'll eventually forget about him completely.

"Send him my congratulations," I told her with a smile.

Tawni, on the other hands, drops her fork. "Oh my God. What did I miss here? Why are you suddenly so different?"

"Is it wrong to feel happy for a person you used to be friends with?" I asked her in an annoyed fashion.

"Wow." She shakes her head.

"So, does this mean he's texted you?" I asked her. "How could you have gotten the news?"

Tawni licks her dry lips. "Well.. It wasn't him who texted.." She mumbled. "It's.. Uh.. You know.." She swallowed. "It was Alida Hamilton-Smith who texted me. She said she wanted to talk to you."

"Me? That Alida girl wants to talk to me?" I asked her ludicrously.

"She wants to talk to you about your baby with Jeremiah."