84

Felix eventually went back home later that night, so he wouldn’t be late for class the next morning. Minho had fallen asleep shortly after taking his medicine and Jisung carefully tucked him into bed, afraid the little would wake up even achier if they kept cuddling on the couch. The hybrid’s exhaustion was evident, seeing as he was able to sleep in the bedroom alone, while Jisung hung out with Changbin in the living room. The older had agreed to stay the night in case one of his friends’ conditions declined and Jisung wanted to talk about the other’s  relationship with Felix now that he had the chance to.

It turned out, they both had very different experiences with their mates probably due to Minho’s headspace. Felix wasn’t nearly as clingy as Minho or at least he wasn’t as open about it. That didn’t mean that he wasn’t openly affectionate with Changbin, he most definitely was, at least when they spent time together. He didn’t initiate them spending time together though, afraid he’d come on too strong and stress the rapper out by demanding too much time and attention. Knowing Chan and his work ethics, Felix always worried about Changbin working too hard and not getting enough sleep, so he didn’t want to demand even more of his mate’s time that the other could spend resting.

“I don’t know, Sungie, watching you and Minho, I sometimes doubt Felix and I are mates but I felt that static tingling too when I kissed Lix that evening”, Changbin sighed. Was he jealous? Maybe. Maybe he simply couldn’t believe that such a sweet and pure sunshine should be meant for him. While he had often seen Minho in his cat form, Felix avoided shifting almost completely. Occasionally, he’d let his ears show, so Changbin could scratch them for him but he only shifted and let Changbin bundle him in a blanket when he was feeling really down. Furrowing his brows, Jisung hummed: “Why’d you say that? Isn’t he absolutely whipped for you?” – “I mean, he loves it when I scratch his ears and I love hearing him purr but we rarely see each other”, the older admitted, “It’d be impossible to separate you and Minho for more than a day but we sometimes go longer than a week without seeing each other and although I get a little grumpy, we’re usually fine. Though I think I’d go crazy if we didn’t text on the daily and the occasional phone call helps a lot too.”

They continued to chat for a bit, Jisung advising that Changbin should talk to Felix and work out how much space the Aussie needed because Minho had occasionally been afraid of being too clingy and then ended up feeling neglected, so Jisung knew how important communication was. Not wanting his sunshine to feel neglected, Changbin promised he’d talk to his mate about it soon. Jisung was almost ready to go to bed and had just gotten his hyung a pillow and blanket when Minho waddled to the living room, his baby blanket clutched in his fist. “Dada”, the hybrid pouted, his voice cracking tiredly. Rubbing his eyes with his fist, Minho twitched his ears and wrapped his arms around his mate’s waist.

“He’s so cute”, Changbin cooed as he watched Jisung ruffle Minho’s hair. Lovingly pressing a kiss to the little’s temple, Jisung smiled: “Yeah, he is.” Minho looked at the other with big innocent eyes, his cheeks flushed from both fever and shyness. “What do you need, kitten?”, the rapper whispered, cupping his cheeks, “I thought you were sleeping, hm?” – “Missed chu”, the hybrid mumbled, nuzzling his face into Jisung’s shoulder, “Why chu weave Minnie awone?” Hugging Minho tight, Jisung breathed: “Dada wanted to talk to Binnie-hyung about his relationship with Lixxie.” – “Pixxie wuv Binnie-hyung wots”, the little yawned, sleepily grinning at Changbin. The caught the rapper’s attention. “Does Felix talk about me when you guys dance together?”, Changbin asked, eager to know what the Aussie thought of him. Minho nodded, closing his eyes as he leant further into Jisung’s embrace.

Though Changbin and Jisung waited anxiously, Minho didn’t elaborate and only cuddled into his mate’s arms. Taking a seat on the couch, Jisung pulled the little into his lap and hummed: “What does Lixxie say about Binnie-hyung?” Changbin sat down next to the couple, nervously picking at his fingernails. Sniffing his blanket, Minho rubbed his head into Jisung’s hand and waited for his mate to pet his ears. “Pixxie miss Binnie an’ ‘s sads Binnie a’ways busy”, the hybrid shared, his focus solely on Jisung’s affection, “Chu know, chu needs buiwd nest ‘gether. If you nest ‘gether chu stay ‘gether.” – “I need to build a nest?”, Changbin asked incredulously. The little nodded, looking at the rapper with big, glossy eyes. “Don’t worry”, Jisung chuckled, “It’s really easy. You just need lots of pillows and blankets and arrange them in a circle.”

Giving a relieved laugh at Jisung’s statement, Changbin soon felt his heart sink when he caught the look Minho gave his mate. “Das nuh how chu buiwd a nest”, the hybrid frowned, leaning away from Jisung. Shaking his head, Minho got dizzy for a moment and slurred: “’s nuh easy to buiwd goowd nest. Gotta be jus wight an’ needs smeww wight.” – “I don’t build good nests?”, the rapper pouted, giving his mate a sad look. Shaking his head again, Minho denied: “Nuh, chu nuh cawe about da smeww.” – “That’s because I can’t register the scents of different items like you”, Jisung defended, “Not everyone has such an amazingly sensitive nose as my little kitten.” The little giggled at that and cuddled back into his mate’s dhest. “Chu weawwy good at scenting though”, Minho comforted quietly, “Good at scenting ouw nest matewial an’ goowd at scanting Minnie.”

“So, what’s ‘scenting’ all about?”, Changbin hummed, confusion evident on his face. Staring at the other in utter shock, Minho stammered: “Lixxie nuh scent chu?” – “No, he doesn’t. Is that a normal thing between mates?”, Changbin pressed, worried that maybe they weren’t mates after all. Furrowing his brows, the little pouted: “Why chu wie to Minnie?” – “I’m not lying”, Changbin argued, “Felix has never scented me.” – “Pixxie towd me how mush he wuvs scenting chu”, Minho challenged, sniffing his baby blanket before handing it to Jisung, who absentmindedly rubbed his cheek into it. By now, Jisung was so used to his mate wanting his blanket to be scented, so he didn’t even have to think about what to do anymore. When he handed it back, Minho contently nuzzled his face into it and took a deep breath. “Tankies”, he purred, continuing to kneed his blanket and completely forgetting the conversation they had been having.

Minho slowly purred himself to sleep in Jisung’s lap while his mate quietly explained: “I just scented his blanket for him and while I don’t know what your cuddles with Felix look like, I’m pretty sure that he is scenting you without you knowing that that’s what he’s doing.” – “I mean, he does like to rub his face into my chest or against my neck”, Changbin admitted quietly, slowly realizing that maybe Felix was shy about scenting him, “What’s the point of scenting, other than they seem to enjoy it?” – “Well, what I learned is that my scent helps Minho calm down, even when I’m not around, so he likes to wear or cuddle with my clothes or asks me to scent his blanket like he did just now”, Jisung whispered, pressing a kiss to the hybrid’s ear, “As for the other way around, it’s a little like claiming ownership. Like, this is my mate, he’s obviously taken, so back off.” Changbin chuckled at that. “I don’t think it works on humans because our noses aren’t as sensitive but for other hybrids, it’s a very clear statement”, Jisung smiled, rubbing his cheek against Minho’s hair to scent the sleeping little.

With Minho asleep and Jisung more than ready to go to sleep too because his fever was rising once again, Changbin picked the little out of Jisung’s lap and carried him to the bedroom, his dongsaeng close behind. Quietly thanking his hyung, Jisung bid the other rapper goodnight and carefully tucked Minho in once again. Changbin surely had a lot to think about that night and he also realized that him and Felix would have to have a deeper conversation soon. He had thought the two of them had been close all along, knowing exactly how Felix liked to be swaddled in a blanket when he was in his cat form. Not that he spent much time in that form, usually preferring his human form but Changbin had a feeling that the Aussie might be forcing himself to act more human than hybrid. The rapper didn’t know why he’d do that because he loved the younger no matter which form he chose, so maybe he should ask and learn a little more about his mate’s preferences.