34

„And you really think this will work?", Minho frowned the next morning, when Jisung told him his plan. Shrugging, the rapper muttered: "No promises but why would your boss keep them when he sees the proof?" The hybrid ran his hands over his face, sighing: "I'll have to talk to Jeongin about this but I'm not sure I'll see him today because he has an early shift and I took the late one." - "There's no rush, hyung. I just thought that's what we could try even if it doesn't sound too appealing", Jisung nodded, "By the way, I'll see you later, yeah? Text me if I should pick you up from the café." - "Will do", Minho agreed, watching the rapper finish getting ready and put on his shoes. Turning back to the hybrid, Jisung smiled: "Love you, see you later." - "I love you too, Sungie. Have a good day at the studio", the older hummed, waving his hand at the other. Once Jisung was gone, Minho was left to dwell on his mate's plan.

He hadn't interacted with Jeongin much, yet he still considered him a friend and couldn't bear seeing him hurt. Jisung proposing to let their co-workers beat the younger up, so they could get it on tape, was hard for Minho to agree to. Sure, he could see how that could convince their employer to let the violent ones go but on the other hand, if he didn't and they only got a scolding, things would get even worse for Jeongin. The hybrid still had a few more hours to pass and remembered that Jeongin was at the café at this exact moment, probably not having a better day than the lest shift they had had together. Afraid something might happen to the boy without any protection, Minho decided to throw the first aid kit into his bag and headed to his shift early. Since he didn't have to work yet, he ordered himself a vegan caramel latte and watched his new workplace buzz with customers. The hybrid took a seat at one of the tables further back from where he could still glance behind the counter.

As luck would have it, Jeongin was the one serving Minho his drink, so the older asked: "How's it going today? Same as yesterday?" - "It's going fine, we're just pretty busy today", Jeongin smiled, "Would you also like a slice of cake with your latte?" Unsure what to make of the other's behavior, Minho also ordered a slice of apple pie without the cream and watched as his dongsaeng made his way back behind the counter. He had been smiling but he had smiled yesterday too, when he was well aware he would get beaten up not much later, so could his smile really be trusted? It took a while for Jeongin to return and Minho knew exactly why. His hybrid hearing had allowed him to hear the scolding the boy had gotten in the back of the café. Apparently, he had been asked to clean one of the coffee machines earlier but hadn't gotten around to doing so yet. No matter how hard he tried to explain that the number of customers had kept him busy, they just wouldn't hear it. Jeongin promised he'd do it right away once he had served Minho his cake but it was to late now as he was promised to pay for his negligence once the shift was over.

When the younger made his way towards Minho's table, his smile was on point still but his hands trembled lightly. He was about to head back to clean the coffee machine he was asked to clean but the older caught his wrist, holding out his phone, asking: "I need your number, it'll only take a second." Jeongin nodded, still stressed but willing to save his number in Minho's phone. With his hands shaking, it took a bit longer than a second but he managed, quickly handing it back before rushing to complete his other tasks for the fear of being punished even harder. Frequently glancing towards the counter to see if the younger was okay, Minho typed out the plan Jisung had come up with that morning and sent it to Jeongin's phone. Hopefully the boy would read it soon, so they could figure out how to get him home safe if he wasn't willing to go through with it.

What surprised the hybrid, was Jeongin's fearlessness, as he soon texted back that he was willing to take the risk if it gave them a chance of having their employer protect him. He did get nervous though as the end of his shift neared, as he knew what was coming for him. Having gone through the same thing time and time again, he wasn't scared but knowing what a fuss Seungmin would make if he came back covered in bruises did worry him. Sure enough, the moment he took off his apron and grabbed his belongings to head out, one of their co-workers followed him, leaving the building out the back door at the exact same time. Within seconds, his bag was pulled from his shoulder and thrown a few feet away, as Jeongin was backed up against the wall. Reminding himself that this was nothing out of the ordinary, the boy took every kick and punch till suddenly it stopped. Barely daring to look up, he spotted Minho who had pocketed his phone and had pulled the younger's assailant off of him. With his ears ringing, Jeongin didn't understand what the older said but he was pretty sure it was a long list of threats and curses.

After sending the other employee running, Minho picked up the younger's bag and gently guided him back into the café. They had a small break room in the back, where the hybrid pushed Jeongin into a chair and quickly retrieved the first aid kit. "You okay? Can you tell me where it hurts the most?", he cooed, crouching in front of his dongsaeng. There were a few spots where the skin had been scraped, so Minho cleaned those before covering them with cute band-aids. At some point in between, another employee, who had the shift with Minho came to check where he was but the hybrid only sighed: "This is an emergency, I'll be at the counter with you in a moment." That was enough for the two to be left alone as Minho finished patching Jeongin up. What he didn't expect however, was a furious Seungmin bursting through the door, mere seconds after he had applied the last band-aid. Seungmin instantly pushed Minho away, growling threateningly. A little intimidated, the older stepped back and lifted his hands in defense, watching as the dog hybrid checked each of Jeongin's injuries, sniffing him thoroughly. The younger explaining what they had been doing in a hushed voice in hopes of calming the other down.

When he had checked his mate, Seungmin walked up to Minho, glaring at the older and growling: "How could you stand by and watch him get hurt?!" - "Hyung, I told you, we did it as a long-term solution", Jeongin sighed, getting up and pulling the other away from Minho, "Thank you, Minho-hyung. I think it'd be best if you get back to your shift. And you, pull yourself together, Min!" Minho nodded, quickly slipping on his apron and heading out to the front. He was confident, Jeongin was well taken care of. Hugging Seungmin tightly, Jeongin breathed: "I'm okay, hyung, really. Minho didn't let it get too far, we only needed a few moments of footage to show to our boss. He was there and stepped in pretty quick, patching me up right after. Can we just go to your dorm now? I'm really carving some cuddles." - "Only if you promise me you'll let me check each of those injuries and put some ice on that bigger bruise there", Seungmin sighed, protectively wrapping his arm around the other's shoulders. He didn't even let Jeongin carry his own bag.

Minho glanced out of the store window and watched the couple leave, chuckling at Seungmin carrying Jeongin's bag. Those certainly were mates as Minho could imagine himself being just the same as Seungmin if it had been Jisung getting hurt. He could only hope that the footage they had on his phone now was enough to solve their problem and ensure Jeongin's safety from now on. Minho himself couldn't really imagine continuing to work in such a hostile environment and it was only his second day there. He was soon pulled from his thoughts when the bell rang and 3racha entered the café. Minho served the three rappers with a smile, handing Jisung his phone, so he could read the chat with Jeongin and check the video footage. What the hybrid hadn't expected was for the younger to show it to Chan and Changbin too and he felt a little betrayed by his mate violating his privacy but then it clicked in Minho's mind. Chan had had to organize so many legal things when it came to their career, he certainly knew law better than both of them and could maybe also help them get a lawyer in case the footage wasn't enough to convince their boss. Things would be fine, maybe not immediately but they were getting there.