Chapter 9: Schadenfreude

It was late at night.

It was time to sleep, but Lin Yuzhen couldn't fall asleep. She was nervous. Even though she believed that there were more good people than bad people in the world, she had only known Jiangning for a day. Moreover, the information said that Jiangning had a mental illness. What if he couldn't control himself?

On the floor, Jiangning lay there, and he could sense that Lin Yuzhen's breathing was a bit nervous.

"You don't need to hide scissors under your pillow," Jiangning said.

He continued, "Go to sleep peacefully, good night."

With these words, Jiangning closed his eyes first. Lin Yuzhen's heart skipped a beat as she pulled her hand out from under her pillow. How did Jiangning know she had put scissors there?

"He won't hurt me," she thought.

For some reason, Lin Yuzhen's conviction in this belief was growing stronger. Thinking about it, she relaxed and closed her eyes to sleep.

The night passed without any incidents. Lin Yuzhen woke up, having slept relatively soundly. When she went outside, Jiangning was already having breakfast.

However, Su Mei had dark circles under her eyes, indicating that she hadn't slept well.

"Have your breakfast quickly, dear. Your mother has been up early this morning," Jiangning said without much politeness.

When Lin Yuzhen entered the bathroom, Su Mei followed her inside.

"Last night, did he...?"

"No, Mom," Lin Yuzhen blushed. "He slept on the floor and didn't touch me."

She felt a bit awkward saying this, wondering whether she should praise Jiangning for being a gentleman or lament her own lack of charm.

Upon hearing this, Su Mei relaxed. In her heart, she still hoped that when the time was right, Lin Yuzhen and Jiangning would separate, as they were not a match.

"Shall I walk you to work?"

After finishing breakfast, Jiangning offered to accompany Lin Yuzhen to work.

"No need, I'll go by myself," Lin Yuzhen replied. "You should stay at home; it might be dangerous outside."

She worried that Lin Feng might try to harm Jiangning.

"It's okay; they won't dare."

Jiangning watched as Lin Yuzhen pushed her electric scooter and furrowed his brow slightly.

Riding an electric scooter? As the granddaughter of the Lin family, her living conditions were indeed not very impressive.

"Thank you," Lin Yuzhen said, feeling unable to refuse Jiangning's offer. She allowed him to ride the scooter, hiding behind him to shield herself from the chilly wind.

This feeling was somewhat different.

At the entrance of Lin Industries headquarters:

At this moment, hundreds of employees were all gathered there to welcome Lin Yuzhen. However, on each person's face, there were clear signs of anger and discontent.

They had received a notice in the middle of the night, around one or two in the morning, to come to work an hour earlier just to welcome Lin Yuzhen. Why should they do that? Especially after hearing some rumors that Lin Yuzhen had allied herself with the famous Mr. Huang to exert pressure on Lin Industries. They believed that she had caused significant losses to the company and had the audacity to consider not coming to work.

Even Lin Qiang, her uncle and the CEO of the company, had to lower his voice and plead with her to come to work.

This was too much!

How could there be such a person? Some insider information suggested that Lin Yuzhen was deliberately applying pressure to Lin Industries by associating with Mr. Huang. She had made them lose significant profits and even wanted to skip work without consequences. Even her own father had to beg her to come to work.

It was outrageous!

The resentment among the employees was mounting.

Lin Qiang stood at the forefront, clearly feeling the employees' anger, which was exactly what he wanted.

He didn't believe that Lin Yuzhen, who had angered so many people, could continue working at Lin Industries after signing the contract. Once she signed it, he would slip away without hesitation.

"Did you call Mr. Huang's side?"

Lin Qiang asked.

"Yes, I did. They said Ms. Lin is coming to sign the contract, and Mr. Huang will personally come."

Lin Feng replied with a tinge of jealousy. Lin Yuzhen was getting to sign the contract, and Mr. Huang was coming himself. Lin Feng had no chance to meet Mr. Huang, despite all his efforts.

"This Lin Yuzhen thinks too highly of herself," Lin Feng added.

Lin Qiang chuckled, and his secretary immediately announced, "Welcome back, Miss Lin!"

In unison, hundreds of employees greeted Lin Yuzhen with forced smiles and concealed anger.

Lin Qiang, however, noticed that Lin Yuzhen's facial expression was somewhat odd.

"Are you satisfied now, Yuzhen?" Lin Qiang asked with a smile, but there was a strange tone in his voice. It sounded as if everything they had done was forced by Lin Yuzhen, and they had no choice but to comply.

Lin Yuzhen felt a bit awkward and didn't know how to explain herself. No matter how she explained it, it wouldn't change the fact that the employees were upset. She never intended for this to happen.

"Do not worry about what others think of you," Jiangning whispered to her as they walked inside the company building. "Those who can't reach you will try to defame you. Understand?"

Lin Yuzhen looked at Jiangning in amazement and nodded.

Inside the building, Lin Qiang had arranged a spacious office for Lin Yuzhen, even larger and more luxurious than his own. This further fueled the resentment among the employees.

Lin Yuzhen wanted to refuse, but Jiangning walked into the office without any courtesy. In his eyes, her husband wouldn't let her stay in such a cramped office, which would be unfair to her.

"Dad, now it seems that everyone in the company dislikes Lin Yuzhen," Lin Feng gloated. "And that lunatic husband of hers!"

Lin Qiang smirked, "I wonder if that lunatic, Jiangning, will have a mental breakdown when he finds out his wife has been taken advantage of by Mr. Huang."

As he spoke, both father and son had a mischievous look on their faces.

"What do you think, Jiangning, that lunatic? If he learns that his wife has been taken advantage of by Mr. Huang, will he go crazy and attack Mr. Huang?" Lin Qiang said with a sneer.

They couldn't wait to see Lin Yuzhen's true colors exposed for everyone to see.