98. The Dementor's Kiss

Start from the beginning

Harry took in a deep breath, perhaps feeling slightly nervous, before nodding and going to stand.

"Bel isn't a healer, so I'll be quick. Then we can get you to the hospital wing. That okay?" Harry asked Ron.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Go", Ron replied, and Harry shot Bel one last look, receiving a reassuring smile as well as a nod of her head in Sirius' direction to tell him to get on with it.

As he slowly approached the place where his godfather was stood, he listened in on the conversation his friends started up.

"That looks really painful", Hermione winced.

"So painful", Ron said in a very overexaggerated tone.

"I might be able to fix it up a bit, but not by much", Bel offered.

"Do whatever you can to stop them from chopping it", said Ron.

"They're not going to chop off your leg, Ron", Bel scolded.

"I'm sure Madam Pomfrey will fix it in a heartbeat", Hermione added in reassurance.

"We'll see. But from the looks of things, it's ruined. They'll have to chop it off."

That was the last word Harry heard from his friends as he finally made it to Sirius' side.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" his godfather said as the two looked over at Hogwarts in the distance above the shining treetops.

"I'll never forget the first time I walked through those doors. It'll be nice to do it again as a free man", he continued.

Harry smiled along with Sirius at the mention of him being free.

Finally ending his imprisonment and suffering which was bought onto him for absolutely no reason.

"That was a noble thing you did back there. He doesn't deserve it", Sirius said directly to him.

"I just didn't think my dad wouldn't have wanted his two best friends to become killers. Besides, dead, the truth dies with him. Alive, you're free. And ... it's what Bel would've done. If I've learnt anything it's to listen to her", Harry explained.

When he mentioned her name, Harry's smile softened, and Sirius glanced down to him with a smirk upon his face.

"Turn me into a flobberworm! Anything but the dementors!"

The distressed voice of Peter Pettigrew calling out made the two turn back towards the Whomping Willow to see Remus had now emerged, holding the rat man at wand point.

"Ron! Haven't I been a good friend? A good pet? You wouldn't let them give me to the dementors, would you? I was your rat!" Pettigrew addressed Ron as Lupin dragged him past the three students.

When Ron didn't so much as glance upwards to answer him, he turned his attention onto Bel again.

"Please help me! They'll listen to you if you ask ... or you can make them –", Pettigrew begged her as he went to grab onto her arm, but Lupin practically threw him away before he could touch her.

Harry watched as Bel lifted her wand away from Ron's ankle and cast the same silencing charm she had used on both him and Ron earlier that year on the panicking traitor.

Beside Harry, Sirius chuckled at her actions.

"I like her ... she reminds me so much of her parents. Just as you remind me of yours", he said through his laughs.

Harry wanted to ask about Bel's family.

About her father, about what he had done and why he had done it.