75. The Altitude

DISCLAIMER

I do not own Harry Potter ... but Buckbeak is my favourite creature if it wasn't already obvious lmao

__________<>__________

It was difficult for Harry to look at the smiling Hufflepuff girl who ran into the woods and know that very same girl is bearing the weight of keeping Hogwarts safe from the dangers of the Wizarding World.

But it made him happy to see her so happy.

She deserved to be happy.

To smile and laugh instead of holding a blank mask behind which Harry knew was panic, stress, and exhaustion.

Bel never specified that was what she was truly feeling, but that was because she didn't wish to burden anyone with the inevitable consequences of what her duties were.

All Harry could do was hope that a genuine smile appeared on her face every now and then, and that he was the one who put it there.

Because he was her friend.

That was his job.

Which he had already been failing at so far this year.

At least whatever Hagrid was planning covered for him this time.

"That's it. Come on, now. Come closer. Less talkin' if ya don't mind", the half-giant spoke to the group of students that had now gathered just outside his hut.

"I got a real treat for ya today. A great lesson. So follow me."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione all shared excited glances as Hagrid started to lead them into the forest where Bel had gone.

His mind was racing with what they could possibly be doing to warrant such excitement.

And it didn't stop racing in the fifteen minutes they walked further into the woods.

By the time they reached a small stone wall, everyone was boiling.

Harry realized now just why Bel went into Hagrid's to take off her robe and jumper.

Most of the students in his class had either taken them off as well, or at the very least undone their robes, untucked their shirts, or loosened their ties.

"Right, you lot. Less chattering. Form a group over there. And open your books to page 49", Hagrid turned to instruct his students.

"Exactly how do we do that?"

The voice that spoke next immediately made Harry tense and roll his eyes.

It was like an involuntary reaction he now had to anything associated with Draco Malfoy.

Unfortunately for him, this Care of Magical Creatures lesson was shared between Gryffindors and Slytherins.

Not a good mix.

There were no Hufflepuffs or Ravenclaws to try and keep the peace.

The only reason Bel was attending was because she was a helper rather than a student, as she had just told him.

But Harry knew just how much his friend loathed Malfoy.

Arguably more than he did at times.

Which only made this lesson lose its joyous atmosphere even more.

"You just stroke the spine, o' course. Goodness me", Hagrid replied to Malfoy as though not knowing the answer was idiocy.

Harry saw out of the corner of his eye Malfoy going to stroke the spine of the fluffy, animalistic textbook with a judgemental expression adorning his face.