16~ They Tried To Kill Me

Adeline

I can tell he's going through some things. I quickly learned his habit of making a face when he thinks deeply about what ever is on his mind. This library must mean a great deal to him if he's making that face all of a sudden. 

When I grabbed his arm he was freezing, like all the blood from his body ran cold. I asked him about it, and he gave me an answer suggesting that I shouldn't push it. So I didn't. I want him to be open with me so I can know the true man I'm going to marry. I want to know his soul, his deepest secrets, everything. If he wants me to open up to him then he has to open up to me. I don't mean to pry, but how will I learn to accept this life if I don't know the man I'm living with? 

"My men are getting the rest of your things tonight, so expect your things to be on the doorstep. I will go put these away. I'll come back, don't worry." He sighed as he picked up the plates and left the library. 

I watched from where I stood as he left. In the meantime I need a new book to read. Again, I run my fingers along the spines of books walking by. I read the spines as I passed them and stopped at a random book. I pulled it from the shelf and read the cover. "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. Flipping the book over, I read the synopsis. I'm a bit of a history nerd and this book seems  interesting. I gave it a try and flipped to the first chapter. 

I leaned against the bookshelves beginning to read "The Book Thief" when Adrian walked in. I didn't expect the sudden surge of energy radiating off him and I jumped a little. I hastily closed the book and put it back on the shelf be fore he saw me. His gaze wandered around the little seating area looking for me. He must have realized that I was still at the bookshelves and turned his gaze over to me. 

His gaze softened in relief as he rushed over to me. 

"We have to go. There's been an attack at my warehouse and I've been notified that an assassin was sent here." He breathed out grasping onto my arm. 

I was being pulled out of the library and taken to a part of the house I have yet to explore. 

"Are we safe? What do we do?" I was frantically asking questions that didn't matter. 

"You will be safe. All you have to do is get into this room, sit tight, don't touch anything, and wait for me to come get you." He stopped opening a secret door. 

Behind the door was a weaponry room. The walls were stacked with all sorts of guns and knives. One wall had hooks filled with bullet proof vests. Adrian carefully but quickly pushed me into the room as he checked if anyone saw us. He closed the door, grabbing two vests. 

"Put this on." He chuckled a vest over to me.

I caught it and put it over my head. It was a little loose but I'll fix it. I watched as he grabbed knives and strapped them to his body. Then he grabbed a handgun and an AR-15, putting the magazines in both. He took a couple extra mags and put them into an accessible pocket. He glanced at me before leaving. I didn't know what he wanted because he set the AR down and came to tighten my vest before he finally left. I was alone and locked in a room full of weapons. Great. 

I sat on the floor with my back against the empty part of a wall as I pulled my knees to my chest. I waited for what felt like hours. I heard yelling, lots of yelling. I heard gun shots from a semiautomatic gun. Then I heard footsteps, quick ones like people were chasing each other. The footsteps slowed down and I heard banging on the other side of the door. It sounded like someone was trying to break in, but the door held strong. My heart pounded in my chest, the sounds of the banging turned into my heartbeat. The faster the banging got, the faster my heart raced. 

I hugged my knees closer to my chest as tears streamed down my face. I began to breathe unevenly like my lungs couldn't take it anymore. I began heaving in air as much as I can, but the lump in my throat never went away. But the banging did. BANG! BANG! two gunshots could be heard on the other side of the door. I jumped at each one covering my ears in case there were more. I closed my eyes whispering to myself that it was all a nightmare as I rocked back and forth. 

"No. No, no, no it isn't real, it's just a bad dream." I repeated over and over. 

I didn't hear the sound of the door unlocking and opening, nor did I heard the slow steps of someone getting closer. A hand gently rested on my shoulder in a comforting way. I tried to jump away in fear, but I realized it was Adrian. He kneeled down to my height so he could be eye level with me. He was worried and blood was splattered everywhere. It took me a second to get it through my head, this was the life I now had to live. 

I sobbed harder when I've come to the conclusion of how I will die young in a life like this. I didn't want to die, so I clung on to Adrian trying to find safety. Trying to find security. He gave what I was looking for and protectively wrapped his arms around me. One hand pulled my head closer into his neck, shielding me from the terror. And one arm around my torso, squeezing me comfortingly. The harder I cried, the tighter I hugged. I didn't want to let go and face the aftermath. 

"You are safe. I killed him, he won't get to you." He whispered those gentle words into my ear. 

Someone was already out to get me and we haven't gone public with our engagement.