19~ The Warehouse

Adeline

Truthfully, there is nothing I can do to help. I don't know a thing about mafias or how they deal with attacks that threaten their mob. I want to feel usefulness, I want to feel like I have a part in this besides being the massive target. I don't want to burden him and his men and have them waste their time on someone who can't help. 

"There is one way you could help but, I don't want to risk your life because I told myself it would work." He suggested. 

"Please, I want to help. I'm in this as much as you are now so I should be entitled to at least help with what I can." I begged.

"Fine, but you won't like this plan as much as I do right now. It's our only shot and if we fuck up, there's one thing I'm never getting back." He took my hand and lead me out of the room. 

We continued down the hall that the meeting room was in till we a door at the end. The door had a stairwell that lead to the upper levels and whatever was in the basement. He let go of my hand and took quick steps down the stairs. I felt like it was a race just to catch up to him as I didn't want to trip. About 105 steps later, we were at the bottom. It was an open-space basement  that was huge. 

There was a wall with weapons, some sort of training area, a pool table, and a table with papers scattered on it. The table was situated at the far back left corner and the dim lighting made it hard to see what was on the papers. 

"This is where we do most of our 'secret' planning. We only have the meeting rooms for business related things." Adrian said as he flicked on a light switch.

The room was fully illuminated now and things popped up that I was unable to see in the dim light. I walked up to the table to read the papers, I was intrigued by what he does. I picked up a paper and began to read when Adrian came and snatched the paper from behind me. 

"That's not something for you to worry about." He said as he came around and cleaned up the rest of the papers, shoving them into a box. 

"What are we doing down here?" I asked.

"Well, knowing my men, they'd probably call our trusted allies. They will be here soon to help discuss a solution to our problem. If we ever need their help, they will be ready with an attack." He placed both hands down on the table leaning into them.

"So, you are basically forming an army?" I assumed.

"No, the other mob leaders will come here with a few of their goons. Only the most powerful mob bosses I know and grew up with." I just nodded in understanding as I walked over to the pool table. 

I ran the tips of my fingers along the soft, dark green felt in the centre. All the pool balls neatly gathered in the rack and the cue sticks hung decoratively on the wall to the right. As I'm admiring how clean this place is I hear men talking in different languages and loud footsteps coming down the stairs. A rambunctious bunch of elephants if I've ever heard any. 

Men of all different ethnicities, heights, and what not enter the room. The first to descend the last step was a big gruff guy with a goatee and dark curly hair. He wore a black leather jacket with a white tee and black jeans with cowboy boots. An odd choice of footwear, but they do what they want. The first man makes his way over to Adrian, who is still hunched over the table. I watch as the next few come down the stairs. All of them were massive dudes and had very distinct smells. 

"Alright men." Adrian addressed. "A rival assassin has broken into my house, luckily they weren't after me. Unfortunately they were after my fiancée." I lifted my head and turned to face him. 

All the men at the table looked toward my direction confused as to who I was. I gave an uncomfortable wave and smile. I hate how they're all part of a mafia and if looks could kill I would definitely be dead right now. 

"Well, who's the lady that took our boy's heart?" The goatee man spoke. 

"Do you know Ilya Pollinski? The guy that fucked up night watch when the stocks were arriving?" Adrian asked trying to jog the man's memory.

"I think I remember him?" 

"Well, I made a deal with him. His prized possession for his redemption and to keep his life. Turns out his prized possession is her. I wasn't against marrying her but the man insisted that she would have a better life with me. I see how he could be right." He mumbled the last part. 

"So, what do we do then?" 

"I have an idea that will completely wipe out the rival that tried to attack us. I don't know which mafia it was yet, but I have a mole and one of their guys locked up." They all nodded in understanding. "Adeline, why don't you come over here so I can tell you my plans?" 

Quietly, I scurried my way over beside Adrian as he pulled out a random piece of paper that was in the box of other papers. 

"What I think would work, is we use Adeline as bait to lure the mafia to us. It's risky especially since her father would kill me if she got hurt in any way. We need a way to keep her safe while bring the rivals to us." He flipped the paper over to the blank side and began writing notes of plans. 

"I don't think it's a bad idea, but where do we come in?" One of the buff men chimed in.