103: United In Grief

2039

Sarah (31), Alex (31), Lucia (24), Grace (3), Matteo (1).

———

All was calm for the Bishop-DeLucas, truly. They couldn't say it often, but things were more quiet and relaxed, which should have been the first indicator that something big was coming. However, the famiglia was enjoying the uneventful time that they were in; focusing on Grace and Matteo.

The little blonde was big into cars and trucks, wanting all things related to her favourite show, Paw Patrol. Having seen the children's cartoon so many times, the adults in the house could essentially recite the characters, subplots, setting, messaging and would win any trivia contest about Paw Patrol.

Matteo was still obsessed with dinosaurs, his impressive collection of stuffed animals, figurines, clothes and books about the creatures only growing. So, it had been a massive deal when Carina saw dinosaur sheets on sale at Target, and she decided to buy them and give them to her grandson. In fact, Matteo's room was looking more like a collector's room each day, while his big sister's was a combination of her obsession with princesses, as well as animals, particularly cats.

The day in question was on a Saturday morning. Matteo had woken the house up bright and early, so much so that a very grumpy Grace sought quiet refuge with her parents downstairs in the basement, falling back asleep sprawled over the two adults while Maya went for her morning run, buckling Matteo up in the jogging stroller. Carina had insisted on cooking some french toast, as Lucia and Ryan were coming over for brunch with their pets in tow.

Alex had finished his first draft for a new book, and was still adjusting to the popularity for his first novel. He'd penned under a pseudonym, Jordie Wayne (after his brother and his favourite hockey player), so the family still had some sort of privacy despite Alex's success in the literary world. Sarah had been taking time off while Alex was going to the library to work on his book, giving her quality time with her bambini, as well as her moms.

They had fallen into some sort of routine, and it was great. Until a knock sounded at their door. Alex got up to get it, taking a hearty swig of his coffee. His mother-in-law made incredible coffees, especially her espressos. It was strong, but very flavourful. He set the mug down on the table, and strode to the door, gently moving a stubborn and complaining Moose out of the way.

He opened it, stared for a split second, and then threw it closed. The loud slam startled everyone, freezing the house's activities. Confusingly, Alex, the calm and gentle giant, was furious. "Fuck!" he shouted, running his hands through his hair. While Maya made sure both kids were calm, Sarah went over to her husband, seeing how distressed he was. 

"What happened?" she asked softly, eyes wide.

A knock sounded again. 

"Don't open it! Maya, take the kids to the park," Alex insisted loudly as the Italian went to the door. "Can you tell me what's going on?" the blonde asked. He could not say the words. He didn't want this nightmare to be real. 

"Take the kids. I don't want them anywhere near her, please!" Alex repeated.

"Near who, Alexander?" Carina asked worriedly.

Then, despite not being let in, their door opened. Alex tried to shut it, and gave Maya a pleading look, so she and Carina grabbed the kids, their backpacks which were filled with supplies for a later trip to the park, and headed out the back door, around to where Maya's car was parked.

Whoever was at the front door forced it open, and all of a sudden, Sarah could see why Alex didn't want his kids anywhere near. 

Low and behold, twenty years too late stood Trish Jacobs... otherwise known as Alex's estranged mother. Sarah sent a rapid text to her mom, explaining who it was and to stay out for a while.