100: Crisis One

Lucia loved working as a firefighter.

She took immense pride in her work, and making a difference in people's lives was not something she took for granted. It filled her heart with warmth, with love... knowing she helped.

Before his pseudo retirement, Dean Miller proposed something called Crisis One. The goal of the program was aiming at reducing police presence in calls where they are not needed. It acted as an alternative when there is a mental health issue. So hypothetically, if the person is simply just having a panic attack, it's possible they won't need to go to the hospital. In that case, Crisis One frees up ambulances to answer calls that are a true medical emergency.

One of Lucia's strengths was her ability in connecting with people.

She was empathetic, kind and although the blonde had inherited the Italian temper, she was sweet, and gentle. Lucia's grandmother had once described her so eloquently that both Maya and Carina still brought it up more than fifteen years later.

"No matter where Lucia goes, she thrives like a determined flower in a garden," Katherine had stated in a calm voice.

Her charisma was contagious, and warmed the heart of whoever Lucia was with. Her people skills were only a bonus in helping her be an efficient paramedic, one who could coax patients like no other. The blonde couldn't help but dive into her work; she was incredibly passionate, full of enthusiasm and joy.

Whether she was on the aid car, engine or boots on the ground, Lucia lived for the adrenaline, for helping save lives. It brought her so much pride to be thanked for her courage, to be hugged after a rescue, to have the doctors tell her that the patient would be okay.

One thing that brought her so much happiness was being in the exact same firehouse as her mom had captained for so many years. It was difficult to live in Maya Bishop-DeLuca's legacy, but Lucia loved everything about how hard her mom had worked, how many records she set, how many milestones she'd achieved...

The blonde's name was synonymous with firefighting. In the academy, Lucia had been teased.

"You'll never live up to Bishop's legacy. You're stuck in her shadow,"

And in some ways, Lucia was. In her first couple years as a firefighter, Lucia was desperate to prove herself, that being the daughter of the first queer and first female captain in Seattle Fire Department's history hadn't gotten her here... that Lucia was capable, was talented, and could do everything that her mom could do.

Of course, she learned quickly that her reckless behaviour was bound to get her hurt. She'd been trying to run the most wind sprints to impress Captain Simmons, but had pushed herself too far, and blacked out.

It had been a humbling reality to wake up, realizing that she'd done the exact opposite of what she wanted to do. Knowing that this path would only harm her in the future, Lucia sat down with her mom and expressed her feelings.

"Can I be honest, mom?"

"Lu, always be honest with me. What's up?" Maya asked, face morphed with worry.

"I feel like I'll never be as good of a firefighter as you. Last shift, I was trying to prove myself to Captain Simmons by doing the most wind sprints, and I blacked out," the bambina admitted, and Maya spluttered in sheer shock at what her youngest just said.

"What?!"

"Mom, I love you but I'm also mad at you. I feel like I can't compete with your legacy," Lucia sighed.

"Come here, sweetie," Maya insisted, opening her arms.

Like she had always done ever since she was a little girl, Lucia melted in her mom's embrace, breathing in the familiarity and love that Maya always exuded.