55: Investigations and Sleepovers

Sarah felt that feeling of despair within her recede as she reflected on Amelia's words. The world would continue on, but knowing that there was a still a part of her that her loved ones recognized gave the redhead hope that the happy go lucky and kind Sarah Katherine Bishop-DeLuca was still in there, momentarily buried.

You're still here. I see you. And maybe that was enough for her.

———

There were many things on Maya's mind as they ate dinner. One of them was the upcoming meeting with their private investigator, Rosa Diaz, at the firehouse. She knew that everyone else was feeling the same nerves, as they all were quiet. Carina was trying to keep her wife and eldest in good spirits, but the Italian was jittery, and Sarah picked at her food anxiously, her leg jiggling nearly constantly.

Sarah herself had begun to feel that something was physically wrong with her; every time she stood up, she saw stars and lost her vision temporarily. The teen convinced herself that it was nerves, but decided to tell her moms to be extra cautious.

Both women noted it down, and Carina booked a cardiologist appointment with her coworker Maggie Pierce, which would be in three weeks.

In happier news, Lucia was having her first ever sleepover that same day as the investigation. Meredith had extended an offer on behalf of Ellis, and after the moms talked to their youngest, they agreed. Lucia was so excited. She'd never had a sleepover before, and her moms figured they'd start somewhere they trusted the most. Ellis Grey-Shepherd was one of Lucia's first friends, and was kind, bubbly and provided that comfort and trust that the bambina needed.

Plus, Ellis was essentially like a cousin. Ellis' mom, aunts and uncle were as much Lucia's family as one could get.

Carina (and Moose) were helping Lucia pack in varying degrees of helpfulness.

"Bene... Bella, you need to bring your pyjamas, a change of clothes... your toothbrush... a pillow..." she trailed off, and Lucia nodded. "Brown Bear needs to come too," Lucia insisted, interrupting her Mama's train of thought.

"Of course, bambina. He can come," Carina chuckled.

"Are you excited, Lu?" Sarah asked, entering the room. "Yeah!" Lucia shrieked, and Moose fled the room at the loud scream. Sarah giggled at her sister's joy. The little blonde's happiness always seemed to be contagious, and her smile lit even the darkest rooms up.

"Remember, Auntie Maggie is coming to pick you up at the fire station tomorrow," Maya reminded her youngest daughter as she walked back in with the now purring cat in her arms. "Can I take Moosey?" Lucia asked innocently, looking at the quite content Moose.

"No ladybug, you cannot take the cat. We can make some cookies for you to bring, though," Maya bargained, which was instantly accepted.

So began the cookie baking. After setting the cat down, Maya helped Lucia get all the ingredients out, while Carina watched Sarah pick up and cradle Moose, a faraway look on her face.

"Stai bene, tesoro?" Carina asked reassuringly, putting her hand on Sarah's back. The teen nodded, melting into the gestures of affection as she stroked Moose's whiskers, the black cat purring ridiculously loud.

"Don't worry about tomorrow. Mom and I will be with you the whole time," Carina soothed, knowing exactly what the redhead was worrying about. The Italian hugged her daughter tightly, feeling Sarah relax in her arms, while Moose complained that he was being squished.

"Let's go join the fun," Sarah replied softly as they heard Maya burst into laughter.

The two entered the kitchen to see Lucia with a scrunched up face, having insisted on trying almond extract, which much to her disappointment, did not taste as great as it smelled. She took a handful of chocolate chips from the bowl and shoved them in her mouth, and Maya was staring at her with an open mouth.