61: Consequences

Sarah's green eyes were dark with stormy intensity and passion. It was breathtaking to see the teen with so much fight in her, with so much passion and resilience in her once lifeless, depressed body. She met Rosa's brown eyes. "Tell me how we can nail these motherfuckers," she spat.

———

Almost as if the knowledge that they had significant evidence against the Dixons, the whole Bishop-DeLuca family seemed to be much more at rest, especially Sarah. The teenager had been feeling brave enough to go on outings with her friends, as well as sleeping in her own bed by herself (on occasion).

It was relieving for them to see, and while she was still not completely healed, Sarah was beginning to feel like herself again.

To everyone's dismay, their summer vacation was vanishing.

Maya and Carina had talked it over, and had officially bought a cottage of their own. They hired contractors to make sure everything was updated and winterized, and were in the process of ordering furniture. Maybe some day, they would spend their holidays there, sitting by the fire, skating on the lake, bringing the rest of the team up, teaching the younger cousins to swim...

All of them were incredibly excited for their future.

Carina threw herself into the interior designing portion of the cottage, while Maya was looking into getting a boating license, and potentially getting a motor boat.

Plus, the girls were eager to bring their friends up, maybe spend weekends here... the possibilities were endless, and with that knowledge, that brought them immense joy.

———

After a long shift of filing paperwork and dealing with an ignorant homeowner about trying to light his neighbour's lawn decorations on fire, the blonde was ready to head home. She didn't like going home early, but no matter what, the city of Seattle would still have chaos and the station could function without her for a little while.

Maya had a persistent headache all morning, so her team sent her home early. It was about three in the afternoon when she pulled into the driveway. She opened the door, and she heard an echoing jingling coming towards her. Little Moose ran up to the blonde, meowing loudly with excitement.

But, something was different; and the blonde noticed nearly instantly. Maya frowned when she realized that Moose was absolutely drenched in water, dripping all over the floor. To the blonde's dismay, the black cat rubbed his wet body directly on her, completely soaking her pant leg. Was there a flood? A million thoughts went through her head before he mewed loudly, distracting her from her speculating.

"What? Why are you-" Maya began in confusion, looking at the cat as if he could answer her.

"Hi, Mommy!" Lucia called out from inside the house.

"Lucia, why is Moose soaking wet?" she asked.

"It's a spa day!" she insisted, and there was a brief pause before the blonde asked what that meant.

"Pardon?" Maya repeated, shaking her head in disbelief.

"Silly mommy. He's getting a haircut!" Lucia announced proudly.

Oh no. Just as Maya bent down, she noticed that the cat's fur was incredibly uneven; there were parts where it looked like he was bald. If that wasn't enough, there was a large path of water on the floor that followed where Moose had run from the bathroom towards the blonde.

"Can you show me what you did?" Maya asked, somehow maintaining her calm demeanour as Lucia led the blonde through the mess.

It was somehow worse the further she went. Upon reaching the bathroom, Maya's eyes widened. The bathroom looked like a large tornado hit it. The tub was filled to the brim with bubbles, there was cat hair simply everywhere. The floor was another story; it was covered in water and soap, plus, Lucia had used Carina's sewing kit, and the instruments were sitting in the midst of the soapy mess.