52: One Day at a Time

Her nonna Lucia had her hand in Andrea's and was walking next to Merrie and James. Andrea had Gracie on his back. Then, as if they could see her, they all turned and waved happily again at Sarah as they walked into the sunset, together as a family. She knew they'd never leave her, and that they'd always watch over her. You'll be okay. That thought comforted her.

———

One thing that the Bishop-DeLucas all learned quickly was that healing wasn't linear. There were good days and bad days; but today... today was a good day.

After a lovely breakfast, Carina laced her hand tightly with Sarah's as Maya locked the door. Their ladybug was back to staying with her family, which made all of them immeasurably happy. While little Lucia was playing at the Grey-Shepherd house, the remaining three walked to the station.

This way, they would be getting some time with their sunshine, as well as helping her ease back into public spaces.

"Let me know if this is too much, honey," Maya reminded softly. Sarah nodded, playing with the rings on her mom's fingers. The warm July air ruffled their faces, and Carina skipped along, singing loudly. The teen chuckled softly, which was all the encouragement that the Italian needed. She would do anything to make her girls smile.

The team was fully prepared for the visit, knowing not to make sudden movements and to be careful around Sarah. Maya had expressed how nervous and jittery Sarah was as of late, and of course, they all understood.

"Hello, Bishop-DeLucas!" Ben called out as the three women arrived.

"We've got a surprise for you," Vic sang, doing jazz hands.

"It starts with the letter 'c' and ends with inic," Jack said.

"That's basically the whole word, you goof," Travis replied, smacking an unsuspecting Jack.

Dean opened the door to the clinic, and the three Bishop-DeLucas collectively gasped. With each day, it was looking more and more like a real clinic.

It had a waiting room, a receptionist area, and a hallway leading to patient rooms. There were chairs, bookshelves, a storage closet... a spot where the banner would go... the floor had the nineteen logo on it. It was almost a real clinic. They still had some work to do, but it had made so much progress.

"We wanted to ask you something, Sarah," Dean asked gently, and Sarah's eyes widened as she tightened her grip on Maya's hand nervously, her mind beginning to race at the possibilities. "It's not bad, don't worry. We were just wondering if you'd want to make drawings that we can frame, or paint a mural on the walls," Ben reassured.

The teen's jaw dropped. "Are you serious? I'd love that," she said in squeaky excitement, her voice still adjusting to being used once more.

Carina and Maya exchanged smiles while watching Sarah light up. Ben was showing her where they'd want the drawings and where the mural would go, and the teen's grin extended from ear to ear. Art was something that she loved, and that no matter what, was an escape.

"Here, I brought you guys some water-" Theo began.

"No, don't drink it!"

Sarah smacked the tray out of his hands. She recoiled away from the group, her breath quickening as her eyes filled with tears. Instantly, Carina knelt in front of her, making sure not to touch her daughter. "Bella, look at me. Breathe. You're safe, bene? I promise, you are safe," she insisted.

Maya motioned for the group to go outside and she quickly joined her wife. "You are okay, Sarah. In and out. Look at us, love,"

The teenager forced her lungs to work, still hyperventilating as hot tears fell down her cheeks. Her knees were shaking so much that it nearly knocked her over. She stared into Carina's brown eyes and Maya's blue ones, feeling relief seeping into her just by looking at them.