49: The Beach Between Life and Death

Remember to trust the process... I think you all with absolutely love the ending ;)

Just when they thought things couldn't get worse, Sarah's heart stopped beating.

Maya came in as Carina finished talking, her tears overpowering her voice. Maya wrapped her arms around Carina and pulled her into a hug. Maya rocked Carina slightly as Carina sobbed into her shoulder. Their world felt like it was falling apart. Just when they thought things couldn't get worse, Sarah's heart stopped beating.

———

Sarah woke up to the sun.

It was shining so bright, and directly in her eyes. She felt its rays on her skin, its warmth running through her body from her head to her toes. She groaned as she sat up, her limbs and muscles feeling so stiff. The redhead could hear seagulls calling to one another above in the clouds and felt the ocean tickle her ankles, giggling as the coolness of the water sloshed against her warm skin. She stomped her foot, smiling as the ocean water splashed against her pants, soaking the bottom of her jeans.

It was blissful. This feeling of relaxation... of euphoria... was something like Sarah had never felt.

She stood up, her feet sinking into the grainy sand. The warm salty air was beautifully refreshing. It kissed her face and made her hair dance weightlessly around in front of her. The redhead rolled up her jeans to her calves and squinted her eyes in confusion.

Where was she? Sarah didn't recognize this place, this beach. The water was impossibly blue and the sky stretching around her endlessly.

It was beautiful. Being here was so calming.

"She's finally awake," An older woman's voice said from behind her.

"Mamma, she's a teenager. Teenagers sleep like crazy. Ricorda quanto eravamo pigre io e mia sorella?" A young man responded with a laugh.

Sarah looked and found the source of the voices. There were two people watching her; the older woman was wearing a white sundress, her short dark curly hair sitting just above her shoulders. She had deep brown eyes that were full of love and life.

The young man was wearing a white long-sleeved shirt and khaki pants. He had a curly head of dark brown hair, hazel eyes and a smile that was contagious. He possessed the kind of smile that would light up a room. The two people were clearly related, but also looked eerily similar to Carina. Sarah's mind began to turn with confused thoughts.

It couldn't be...

"Zio Andrea?" Sarah called out, unsure. Andrea DeLuca smiled, nodding with teary eyes as he pulled his niece into a tight hug, holding her close. Sarah could feel the warmth of the hug wrapping around her like a secure blanket, washing over her.

The woman came by his side, grinning from ear to ear. Her arms were already out, waiting to hug Sarah impatiently.

"That must make you my Nonna," Sarah smiled, as Andrea released her and she wrapped Sarah in her arms and pressed a kiss to her hair.

Her family. Family that she could never meet.

Lucia DeLuca gently cupped Sarah's face and took her in. The elder DeLuca smiled as she gazed into Sarah's eyes, tears of happiness, love and pride slipping out of them. Andrea stood on her other side, his arm around his niece.

"La mia bellissima nipotina," Lucia whispered.

Sarah blushed happily. "la mia fantastica nonna," she responded, her voice thick with emotion. She couldn't believe that she was meeting her uncle and nonna. Carina had told her so much about them, but meeting them... was something else. They were exactly as she described!