102: Jealousy?

2039

Sarah (30), Alex (30), Lucia (23), Grace (2). 

———

Sarah was in the kitchen, making lunches while Moose lounged on one of the kitchen island chairs, his tail flicking in both content and annoyance. She touched her stomach; being pregnant was damn exhausting. 

Currently, Alex was trying to get Grace to put on some clothes; they were currently in the toddler phase where naked was the new cool, except she couldn't be naked today. 

In an effort to see more of her family, Sarah had reached out to Joey Bailey-Warren and arranged a playdate with his kids, William and James, who were two years older than Grace. As well, Lucia had texted Tyler Ashton, one of the lieutenants at station nineteen, the young man agreed to bring his four year old niece.

He had custody of his young niece, Pippa, after his sister passed away shortly after she gave birth to her second child, who was very premature and had unfortunately also passed. It seemed like the little girl was struggling to acclimate from the loss of her mom, so Tyler was eager to try and find more friends for Pippa. 

When he'd mentioned this on their last shift, Lucia's heart broke for her friend, and knowing that her niece was around the same age, extended the invitation to Tyler and Pippa. 

In the meantime, Lucia had come over to meet her sister. The house had a bit of a different dynamic with Maya and Carina having left for their week long vacation, but both girls were happy that their moms were finally taking the trip that they had spent so long planning. 

However, Sarah noticed there was something up with Lucia. She was nervous, and Sarah could tell. Not just because Lucia was twirling her hair, a habit she'd had since childhood - but because the redhead knew her younger sister, and could read the blonde like a book. As much as she tried to hide it, Lucia wore her emotions on her sleeve. 

"What's the matter?" Sarah asked, breaking the silence, and Lucia jumped, the question having startled her out of her thoughts. 

"Oh! Oh, nothing. Don't worry about it," Lucia insisted, and Sarah raised her eyebrows curiously. "That is the worst excuse I've heard in a while," she countered, and the blonde bit her lip. "Later," she whispered as Grace came out of the room, a pout on her face. 

Alex had coaxed his daughter into putting on clothes, and it was clear that the toddler wasn't happy about it, until she saw her beloved aunt, and just like that, her mood completely changed. 

"Yew-yew!"

Lucia's face transformed from worry to joy. No matter what, seeing her niece's happiness would always fill her to the brim. It would alleviate whatever was on her mind, make things feel less worrisome.

"So, are you ready to make a new friend, baby girl?"

"Ya!"

———

They headed out to the park, where Joey and his wife Anna, who was busy wrangling the boys, met the Bishop-DeLucas there. It was always nice for Sarah and Lucia to see one of their cousins. Joey Bailey-Warren, Miranda and Ben's eldest, was a very busy man - sometimes it was difficult to get time with him, as currently, Joey was being trained to take over as Chief of Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital, once Tom Koracick retired. Once Joey would be Chief, he'd be the youngest in Grey-Sloan's history, being only a few years older than Sarah.

Nearly six years ago, Joey had met his wife, Anna Ziegler, who he'd known right away that she was the one. They dated for a couple of years before Joey couldn't wait any longer, and proposed to her. She'd accepted, and they got married in the Dominican Republic a year later (so that Anna's elderly grandfather could come to the ceremony).