13: Therapy and Soccer Games

The blonde giggled, poking Carina back, and the two tickled one another, both of them now laughing loudly, anxiety no longer present for the moment.

Everything was beyond overwhelming.

Maya had just been unexpectedly reunited with her little brother, who was apparently doing quite well. He had a family of his own, was sober, and Maya was devastated that he'd chosen to leave her in the dark, knowing how worried she was for him. She felt betrayed, to say the least.

But she couldn't dwell on it too long, because if Mason had moved on, so could she.

Carina guessed that due to the trauma that yesterday brought back up, the blonde was sinking back into her old habits of just pushing past her emotions, rather than addressing them.

Maya put a brave face on the next morning and went to work, reassuring an anxious Carina that she was okay.

"Bellina, if you need me-" Carina tried, but Maya squeezed her wife's hand. "I'll text you updates, I promise. I'll be okay, babe," Maya assured, giving her wife a peck on the lips as she left.

She turned on the radio as she drove to work. Carina was worried, she realized. She hadn't meant to worry her wife.

Maya ran her hands through her hair in frustration. Why couldn't things work out for her?

———

Today was a quiet day, which didn't bode well for the blonde's brain. Lots, and lots of chores awaited the team. As Maya scrubbed the counters viscously, she thought over and over about the moment she saw her brother. She couldn't get it out of her head. What was wrong with her, why couldn't she-

"Captain Bishop, there's someone here to see you," Emmett called, interrupting the thoughts swirling in her head.

Maya stood up, wiped her sweaty brow and headed downstairs. She descended down the steps, and laid eyes upon her visitor, who was none other than her little brother, Mason.

"No," Maya insisted simply, going to change directions, but Mason was desperate. 

"Maya, please-"

"No, Mason! You knew that I worked here and knew how to reach me. Do you know the last time when you and I spoke? Seven years ago. For seven fucking years, I wondered whether you were okay... whether you were sober... whether you were ALIVE! Turns out, you were just living down the street, this entire time. I deserved better from you," Maya spat angrily, her entire body shaking.

"I'm sorry-" Mason whispered, his blue eyes full of sadness.

"It's way too late for that. You broke my fucking heart, Mason. You meant the world to me. You were the only person in this world that I really, truly loved growing up. I did everything for you! I tried to protect you. You were my family. But you've made it clear that you'd prefer not to be mine,"

"Maya-" Mason pleaded, but the blonde cut him off. 

"I'm done. Don't come by here anymore," Maya growled.

She turned her heel and went upstairs, quickly locking herself in the single stall bathroom and burst into tears. Ragged sobs burst through her as she sank to her knees, her anxiety crippling her.

"Maya?" Jack asked, knocking on the door.

"Y-Y-You're in ch-charge f-for the day," Maya choked. Jack knocked again, but Maya didn't answer him. She wanted to be alone.

Alone like she always was. Alone was how she worked best.

But even as she said that, she wanted Carina. She needed her wife. Just as she thought that, her phone rang. Maya was about to scream in frustration, but when she saw it was a FaceTime from her wife, she answered.