18: Surrogacy

If only Maya could tell her younger self that things would work out for the both of them. That once they were both healed, they would find each other again. And oh boy, would things be great.

———

Life had been blissful for the family lately.

Sarah had made her soccer team, which was cause for celebration in itself. A number of their friends, such as Amelia and Link, as well as Jo, Jack, Vic, Travis and more had offered to take the teen to any games that the moms could not, which eased the question of transportation. Lucia was flourishing in school and life, having so much fun being a kid, and that filled Maya and Carina with so much joy.

They were actively giving their bambine a second chance at living a happy, healthy life where they were loved more than they could even imagine.

Even the other day, when Lucia was adamantly excited to go grocery shopping with Maya, thrilled that she got to sit in the cart and hold the list, getting samples and getting to pick out special treats for her and Sarah's lunches.

"My friends always talk about doing this, and now I get to! I'm so happy, mommy!" Lucia squealed as she cradled her treat (welches fruit gummies) in her arms, kicking her legs back and forth with a grin that warmed Maya's heart.

A knock on the door of Captain Bishop-DeLuca's office startled her, shaking the blonde out of her thoughts. Maya looked to see both Emmett and Travis, motioning for them to come in.

"Hey Cap, can we talk to you both for a second?" Travis asked, and Maya nodded. "Sure, what's up?" she asked casually, and Emmett opened his mouth as if to say something, but then looked at his boyfriend anxiously, and the freckled firefighter squeezed Emmett's hand in reassurance, miming for him to take a deep breath.
This made Maya's heart race.

Had she done something wrong? Oh no... had she offended them?
"What's wrong?" Maya demanded worriedly, and Travis smiled reassuringly. "No, nothing's wrong," he assured, and looked at Emmett again, nodding for his boyfriend to start speaking.

"We were... um... We were..." Emmett paused, looking at Travis for guidance. 

"Spit it out, guys. What's going on?" Maya asked anxiously.

"We recently came to the decision that we want kids. So, we were looking into the idea of IVF and surrogacy. We wanted to officially ask you and Carina if... maybe you'd consider donating your eggs for us," Travis broached.

Maya stared at them, her mouth agape, stunned for a moment before shaking herself back into focus.

"And before you answer, talk to Carina first. I know she'd kill you if you made another big decision without her," Emmett added with a laugh.
"You say that like I've made many of these!" Maya teased.

Travis gave Maya a look, and Maya poked him. "Oh hush," she said with a laugh, and pulled out her phone to FaceTime Carina, the two men heading out to resume their chores. 

"Bellina, is everything okay?" Carina asked with worry as she closed the door to her office.

"Everything's fine, my love. I just had a very interesting conversation with Travis and Emmett,"

"Are they finally admitting that I'm the better cook?" Carina asked with a playful grin, referencing their impromptu cooking competition.

They had accidentally spurred this competition when Vic said Carina's pasta was the best food she'd ever had. Travis, of course, wasn't ready to accept defeat, and they had forced the station to be judges and taste test a variety of dishes that the two had created. It ended in a tie, when Vic burst into tears, not knowing which one to pick. But, Carina and Travis still had that competitive spirit around one another, much like brother and sister.