34: Water Fight at the Station

TW: Smut at the set of asterisks

"I am, tesoro," Carina said, pulling her daughter in for a cuddle, pressing a quick kiss to the crown of Sarah's head. She smiled as she held her baby tight, excited for the future and the incoming addition to the nineteen family.

———

It was a shockingly hot day in September; swelteringly hot, according to the radio. 

Carina was planning to be at the station yet again for more clinic planning, while the schools had a the day off due to the heat and the fact the schools weren't built for this kind of temperature. 

So, the whole family was going to spend the day at the station. 

Unfortunately for the group, the station became the place where many civilians came to escape the heat. Lucia was instantly upset with the crowds of people that came to the station, but her anxiety was soothed by a FaceTime call from Andy, whom she had missed so much.

The team made sure to keep Sarah nice and cool, because the last time it was this warm, she had gotten heat stroke and passed out. No one wanted to relieve that experience. 

The two girls who were hiding out in Maya's office, while Carina attempted to have a call with Jackson on behalf of the Catherine Fox foundation about funding, as well as him working at their clinic.

The rest of the firefighters were busy trying to hoard all the civilians, which was quite the difficult task.
"No, you cannot go in the engine!"
"Please come and sit in the lobby- no, don't touch that!"
"How did your flip flop melt to your foot?"

"If people don't stop going where they're not supposed to go, I'm going to commit a crime," Vic muttered angrily to her best friend after shooing an elderly woman out of the PRT.
"Please don't murder anyone, who would I talk to if you went to jail?" Travis replied quietly, watching a crowd of people before sighing dramatically and answering the phone.

Carina snickered to herself, overhearing the two banter before entering the captain's office. Lucia was rooting through Maya's desk, pulling out various things that interested her.
"What are you chickens up to? Hey, let's put that down. Where's your sister?"

Just as Carina asked that, Sarah came back with two ice cold waters and some snacks for the two. "Here you go- Lu, you have a bag of toys to play with!" she protested, and Lucia shrugged. "Not as fun as mommy's stuff,"
"Why don't we do something more fun?" Carina suggested, knowing her wife's office was organized to a tee, everything having an assigned place. Clearly the blonde was going to have to spend some time and clean up, with Lucia rooting through everything. 

"Hey, what's that doing out?" Maya asked as she entered the office. Lucia flushed, and the blonde tickled her daughter, who shrieked with laughter. Maya scooped her bambina up and propped her on the blonde's hip. "Come on, let's go try on some gear,"

The four Bishop-DeLucas entered the turnout room, where the walls of metal lockers housed each person's gear. They looked at shift B's equipment, which was on display.
"What's that, mommy?" Lucia wondered, pointing at a pile of folded gloves.
"Those are our special fire gloves. We wear those so our hands don't get burned," Maya explained. Lucia nodded in interest, her eyes wide with excitement and curiosity.

"How come you have teddy bears up there?" Sarah asked, looking up at a stuffed animal, sitting high on a shelf. "We give those to kids on calls who get scared," Maya replied.
"That's so sweet," Carina said with watery eyes, her hormones already threatening to go into overdrive. She sniffled as she tried to suck in all her emotions. Sarah gave her hand a squeeze as they continued on.